Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Animation Studios - Simulation Technology Intern, Summer 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 604411BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Dec. 14, 2018
Job Summary:The simulation technology team at Walt Disney Animation Studios develops and maintains a wide range of physics-based simulation tools used by artists for both character and environmental eﬀects. In recent years, we have developed a new hair simulation tool set which allows artists to rely more heavily on the physics of the underlying solver to handle complex hair interactions and dynamics.
Responsibilities:Our current hair grooming tool set was designed around artist needs for creating highly art-directed static grooms. Unfortunately, these tools are not aware of simulation, making it diﬃcult to generate simulation-ready hair grooms. This internship will pair an intern with one of our simulation software engineers to develop a proof of concept hair grooming tool with simulation at its heart.
Together they will:
- Work directly with hair simulation artists to design interfaces for both generating and manipulating hair geometry with simulation
- Leverage existing hair simulation on and static grooming tools where possible to implement a prototype interface
- Document work along the way
- Experience or relevant coursework in physics and computer graphics
- C++ and Python programming skills
- Experience with Maya/Houdini/Blender or similar tools
- Good communication skills
- Experience with physically based simulation
- UX/Ixd experience
- Interest/experience in hair styling or wig making
Required EducationSophomore, Junior or Senior Level undergraduate student or recent graduate (within 6 months of graduation) pursuing a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Computer Engineering, or related field.
Preferred EducationGraduate level student pursuing a Master's or PhD from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2019 - August/September 2019. Interns must be available to work full-time for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.