Assistant Chief Counsel, Lead – Disney Live ActionApply NowApply Later Job ID 979841BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted May 25, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
In addition to leading the team, the Assistant Chief Counsel serves as senior legal adviser and will be expected to provide guidance and direction reflecting sound judgment, strategic vision, and substantive legal knowledge and expertise in matters relating to motion picture development and production. This position will be directly involved in managing significant, complex, and/or policy setting matters, and assisting in developing forms, policies, and procedures to create proactive strategies to minimize risk and increase efficiencies. The Assistant Chief Counsel position will be working closely with other attorneys within the studio and the corporate legal department, as well as providing counsel to senior studio leadership and stakeholders.
- Lead the Disney Live Action Production Legal Affairs team, overseeing the team of attorneys that provide production counsel to feature film development and production for theatrical and streaming content, and other original content.
- Provide legal analysis relating to status of rights, copyright, and other chain-of-title review; draft and negotiate rights acquisition agreements for literary rights and other third party intellectual property; prepare releases from individuals for films based on true stories; draft and negotiate other rights agreements such as quitclaims and assignments.
- Draft and negotiate agreements for directors, producers, writers, above-the-line cast, and other production personnel (excluding music).
- Draft and negotiate third-party vendor agreements; agreements for consultants; leases, locations, and venue agreements; equipment rental agreements; payroll services agreements; and other production related agreements including catering, security, animals, and animal wranglers.
- Provide counsel on various matters relating to production of feature films, including but not limited to: script/film clearances, labor relations/collective bargaining agreements, engagement of minors, immigration, customs, environmental regulations, review titles, and credits.
- Provide advice and assistance relating to talent agreements and production matters impacting marketing/promotions/publicity; distribution; consumer products, interactive, and other franchise considerations.
- Draft and negotiate production/financing/distribution agreements, production services agreements, lending and assignment agreements, vendor and supplier agreements, payroll services, and related corporate set-up documents; collaborate with tax and finance regarding best corporate structure for individual pictures (domestic and international)
- Draft and negotiate agreements relating to third party co-productions, co-financing and/or distribution agreements including inter-creditor agreements, copyright mortgages, and other security agreements.
- Draft and negotiate confidentiality agreements, submission releases, and non-disclosure agreements.
- 10+ years of increasing responsibility in motion picture production legal.
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating live action motion picture production contracts.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment and act as a resource to colleagues. Ability to build interdepartmental relationships and drive consensus on legal matters among multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, to devise practical solutions, and to present complex issues to senior executives. Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise level perspective.
- Has breadth of knowledge about the motion picture industry and legal issues and has functioned as a strategic partner for business affairs and new business initiatives.
- Extensive leadership and training experience to help develop and motivate a highly experienced team of lawyers, paralegals, assistants, and staff.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority, and high volume projects. Demonstrates a clear ability to manage fast-paced production environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in motion picture and television industry.
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer who brings a commitment to the creation of a positive working environment within the legal organization.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism.
- Ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Law degree from an accredited law school required
- Membership in the California State Bar Association (or willingness and qualification to be registered In-House Counsel) required
Additional Information:#CORP_MEDIA and #legalaffairs
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.