Associate Data Scientist
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 678268BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 18/06/2019
Job Summary:The Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) Data Platform group is a team focused on utilizing cutting edge technology to bring the power of data to DTCI and provide solid guidance in the decision-making process across the organization. We focus on using data that is collected from DTCI video streaming platforms to improve experiences for our guests through personalization and analytics-based decision-making.
The Associate Data Scientist will be primarily focused on delivering value by developing algorithms that drive integral underlying functionality of our various video streaming services. In addition, throughout the algorithm development process, the role involves performing thorough data analyses and presenting these findings to stakeholders across the organization. Collaboration is key to success at Disney. The Associate Data Scientist is expected to work closely with various teams throughout any given project, so strong communication skills are a must.
Responsibilities:The Associate Data Scientist will be primarily focused on delivering value by developing algorithms that drive integral underlying functionality of our various video streaming services. In addition, throughout the algorithm development process, the role involves performing thorough data analyses and presenting these findings to stakeholders across the organization. Collaboration is key to success at Disney. The Associate Data Scientist is expected to work closely with various teams throughout any given project, so strong communication skills are a must.
- Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline (statistics, mathematics, data science, economics, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline (statistics, mathematics, data science, economics, etc.) with at least 3 years of professional work experience as a data scientist will be considered
- Deep knowledge of statistical principles and the underlying data assumptions on which they rely
- Hands-on experience building at least 2 of the following statistical models/techniques: recommendation systems, reinforcement learning, neural networks, deep learning, optimization and simulation, churn models, logistic/linear regression, forecasting, experimental design, clustering and segmentation
- Ability to program in Python, R, or other statistical programming language(s)
- Familiarity with databases and data retrieval, including SQL
- A passion for data, entertainment, and technology
- Previous experience in entertainment
- Knowledge of the video streaming industry
- Experience working with real-time streaming data
- Previous experience or internships in a data science role
- Hands-on experience with AWS or other similar cloud services
- Demonstrated delivery of machine learning techniques in real-time applications
- The ability to effectively communicate technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.