Associate Principal Counsel – Publishing and Consumer ProductsApply NowApply Later Job ID 856659BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Oct. 08, 2021
This position supports various teams within the Consumer Products, Games, and Publishing segment on all aspects of a global consumer products business. In this role, the candidate would work closely with clients in the following groups: (1) Publishing; (2) Public Relations, Communications and Events; (3) Integrated Retail; and (4) Franchise Marketing in connection with a wide-range of legal issues in areas including: (i) marketing and advertising issues, including activations directed to children, (ii) intellectual property and rights of publicity, and (iii) event production.
The successful candidate must be comfortable with handling diverse legal, regulatory, and compliance issues, and have the judgment to know when to elevate issues to senior attorneys in the department and legal subject matter experts. The successful candidate must also be adept at briefing non-legal colleagues on complex legal issues.
We are looking for a candidate who reflects the innovative spirit and creative talent that defines the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment—the segment that brings the magic of The Walt Disney Company’s powerful brands and franchises—including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, Twentieth Century Studios and National Geographic—into the daily lives of families and fans around the world to create magical memories that last a lifetime.
Responsibilities:Organized, detail-oriented, practical and strategically-minded are key words for this position. On any given day, you might:
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of publishing agreements, including contracts with book authors and illustrators, distribution agreements, sales agreements, third party permissions, and font and stock photography licenses.
- Provide legal guidance on intellectual property rights, marketing and public relations initiatives relating to book launches, including reviewing ad collateral and negotiating marketing platform agreements and insertion orders.
- Evaluate and advise on issues relating to sales, operations, and royalty accounting.
- Advise on structuring of multi-dimensional global public relations initiatives and draft and negotiate a broad range of contracts such as retail promotion agreements, sponsorship agreements, vendor/professional services agreements, and talent agreements.
- Work cross-functionally with business and legal executives across multiple divisions to provide creative solutions to complex business and legal issues, across a variety of subject matters, territories, scenarios, and alternatives.
- Advise attorneys and non-attorneys on legal & regulatory issues and applicable company policies relating to the development and execution of a variety of PR and marketing programs and initiatives, including strategic development, creative execution, negotiation of agency agreements, and substantive review of advertising and promotional materials.
- Maintain and update contract templates and process documents to ensure they are reflective of legal changes and internal processes and procedures.
- Collaborate with business-unit stakeholders and internal subject-matter experts within the legal department.
- At least 7 years of significant legal experience in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or an in-house corporate legal department
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, identify and analyze complex issues, assess potential risk and impact and devise creative solutions and strategies. Must have a commercial and solution- oriented mind-set, and must be willing to take ownership of projects and think proactively
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise-level perspective
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high-volume projects with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality
- Experience providing legal services in the retail industry, content production and advertising
- Law degree (JD or equivalent) from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California State Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.