Associate Principal Counsel – DistributionApply Now Apply Later Job ID 749313BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Mar. 02, 2020
The Corporate Legal – Distribution group is responsible for negotiating the distribution of content from Media Networks (including ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, FX, NatGeo and Freeform) and the Walt Disney Studios (including feature films from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Twentieth Century Studios), including distribution through cable, satellite, online, mobile and direct-to-consumer platforms, home video and, and advising business executives on related legal and policy matters. Its primary function is to serve as the legal hub for distribution via all linear television network, physical home video, electronic home video (“EHV”), transactional video-on-demand (“TVOD”) and subscription video-on-demand (“SVOD”) agreements with The Walt Disney Company’s global licensees.
The Corporate Legal – Distribution group is seeking an inquisitive attorney to work in a fast-paced environment on innovative, high-profile, industry-leading television distribution matters, including traditional TV, Internet distribution, SVOD, TVOD and EHV deals. We’re looking for a bright, energetic, self-motivated and reliable person who can work closely with senior attorneys and will exercise the highest level of ethics and discretion.
- Work closely with senior attorneys and directly with business units on drafting, negotiating and closing distribution agreements with MVPDs and other distributors for all content-producing divisions within Media Networks, such as ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel/Disney Jr./XD, FX, NatGeo and Freeform, for both traditional and new platforms and business models.
- Direct responsibility as a legal point person for our distribution team in drafting, negotiating and closing broadcast TV, cable/satellite, EHV, TVOD and other licensing and distribution agreements for the U.S. As part of that work, this position will serve as the primary legal point-person with respect to a number of Disney’s licensees for linear television networks.
- Provide advice and counsel to business and legal colleagues regarding distribution issues, novel legal questions arising from technological and marketplace developments, FCC and other regulations, and analysis of complex contractual provisions.
- Work closely with lawyers and executives from relevant internal groups (network legal and business affairs, regulatory, antitrust counsel, labor relations, privacy, music, affiliate relations, etc.) to analyze and advise on complicated legal and regulatory issues in emerging distribution platforms and business models.
- Oversee legal issues related to distribution relationships, including MFN analysis and compliance.
- Minimum 4-7 years of legal experience
- Outstanding drafting and writing skills
- Must have deep interest in media and technology industries, and willingness to learn about new areas
- Some prior exposure to copyright law, intellectual property licenses, Internet and mobile platforms, and government regulation of broadcast or media industries is preferred
- Prior experience with media and entertainment issues is helpful, but is not required
- Ability to work independently or under limited supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be team-oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a solution oriented approach to legal issues
- Self-motivated, with outstanding interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate complex concepts and issues effectively with colleagues, counterparts and management
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly and collaboratively under tight deadlines
- Law degree from an accredited law school
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.