Associate Principal Counsel – DistributionApply NowApply Later Job ID 775123BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Mar. 15, 2021
The Distribution Legal group negotiates and provides legal counsel for the distribution of The Walt Disney Company’s world-class feature films, television content and online direct-to-consumer offerings. We represent Disney’s expansive portfolio of brands from the Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Twentieth Century Studios and Searchlight) television entertainment, sports and news (including ABC Entertainment, ESPN, ABC News, Disney Channel/Disney Junior/Disney XD, FX Networks, National Geographic Channel and Freeform), and our innovative direct-to-consumer offerings (including Disney+, ESPN+, STAR+ and ABC News Live). The role is for the legal team supporting Disney Platform Distribution, which is part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution (DMED) division.
This team is the legal hub for Disney content distribution on a global scale, including theatrical distribution, television network distribution, over-the-top distribution of direct-to-consumer offerings via video streaming platforms, physical home video, electronic home video (“EHV”), transactional video-on-demand (“TVOD”), subscription video-on-demand (“SVOD”), ad-supported video-on-demand (“AVOD”) and linear television. The group also advises business executives on distribution technology matters, related legal and policy matters, and handles content protection.
The Distribution Legal group is seeking an inquisitive attorney to work in a fast-paced environment on innovative, high-profile, industry-leading content distribution matters, including mobile, Internet and television distribution of Disney’s portfolio of television networks, direct-to-consumer offerings, and motion picture and television titles on a linear, SVOD, AVOD, TVOD and EHV basis. We’re looking for a bright, energetic, self-motivated and reliable person who can work closely with senior attorneys, and with other internal groups, and will exercise the highest level of ethics and discretion.
- Work closely with senior attorneys and directly with business units on drafting, negotiating and closing agreements for the distribution of (1) Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming services for Disney+, ESPN+, STAR+ and ABC News Live with application platform providers, MVPDs and resellers on a global basis, (2) Disney’s feature film and television content with EHV, TVOD and other licensees on a global basis, and (3) Disney’s television entertainment and sports networks in the United States for ABC Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Channel/Disney Junior/Disney XD, FX Networks, National Geographic Channel and Freeform. As part of that work, this position will serve as the primary legal point-person with respect to a number of Disney’s licensees.
- Provide advice and counsel to business and legal colleagues regarding distribution issues, novel legal questions arising from technological and marketplace developments, FCC and other regulations, and analysis of complex contractual provisions.
- Work closely with lawyers and executives from relevant internal groups (network and studio legal and business affairs, sales, technology, regulatory, antitrust counsel, labor relations, privacy, music, affiliate relations, ad sales and operations, etc.) to analyze and advise on complicated legal and regulatory issues in emerging distribution platforms and business models.
- Oversee legal issues related to distribution relationships, including MFN analysis and compliance.
- Minimum 4-7 years of legal experience
- Outstanding drafting and writing skills
- Must have deep interest in media and technology industries, and willingness to learn about new areas
- Some prior exposure to copyright law, intellectual property licenses, Internet and mobile platforms, and government regulation of broadcast or media industries is preferred
- Prior experience with media and entertainment issues is helpful, but is not required
- Ability to work independently or under limited supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be team-oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a solution oriented approach to legal issues
- Self-motivated, with outstanding interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate complex concepts and issues effectively with colleagues, counterparts and management
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly and collaboratively under tight deadlines
- JD or equivalent
- Admission to California State Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.