Associate Principal Counsel - PrivacyApply Now Apply Later Job ID 749021BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Mar. 02, 2020
The Corporate Legal – Privacy Team is a part of The Walt Disney Company’s (“TWDC”) world class Legal Department. The Privacy Team provides privacy and data security legal advice to TWDC’s businesses around the globe in all varieties of cutting edge contexts, including new and advanced technologies, advertising and marketing, content distribution, and product development, operation, and distribution. The team’s mission is to ensure that privacy expectations of TWDC’s consumers, employees, and partners’ are met and that their privacy is adequately protected, while still helping our businesses deliver the entertainment, information, inspiration, and magic that is Disney.
The Associate Principal Counsel (“APC”) Privacy will provide privacy and data security legal advice to the global TWDC enterprise, with a focus on our Direct-to-Consumer and International, Media Networks, and Studios businesses. In particular, the APC will draft and negotiate privacy and data security terms for agreements relating to digital and linear advertising sales; content and digital product distribution; advertising technology; third party vendors; and promotions and sponsorships. The APC will advise on privacy and data security compliance, policy, and process, in context of digital advertising sales and buying; distribution and licensing of Disney content; digital streaming product development and operation; and broader data sharing and use initiatives, including between affiliates and third parties. The APC will need to have a strong working knowledge of global privacy and data security laws, rules, regulations, and self-regulatory guidelines, including GDPR, CCPA, VPPA, COPPA, TCPA, and the DAA and NAI self-regulatory principles.
- Draft and negotiate privacy and data security terms for agreements relating to digital and linear advertising sales and media buying; linear and digital content and product distribution; third party vendors (for example, those relating to: advertising technology, cloud hosting, analytics and measurement, research, media buying and attribution, data management, and content delivery); promotions and sponsorships; and other strategic data sharing and use initiatives.
- Advise on privacy and data security compliance, policy, and process, in context of digital advertising sales and buying; online behavioral advertising; distribution and licensing of Disney content to third party partners; digital content streaming product development, operation, maintenance, and distribution; and broader strategic data sharing and use initiatives, including between affiliates and third parties.
- Work directly with business and legal colleagues throughout TWDC, both domestically and globally.
- Membership in the California Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department advising on privacy and data security issues, including negotiating and drafting contracts and providing compliance related guidance.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and writing skills, including attention to detail, as well as the ability to solve problems in an efficient, business-friendly manner in time-pressured situations.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise creative solutions and strategies for resolution.
- Ability to anticipate and understand risks and impacts contractual provisions and agreements may have a client’s business.
- Strong working knowledge of global privacy and data security laws, rules, regulations, and self-regulatory guidelines, including GDPR, CCPA, VPPA, COPPA, TCPA, and the DAA and NAI self-regulatory principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong work ethic and commitment to professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with co-workers and clients.
- Willingness to take “ownership” of projects and think proactively.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work, prioritize appropriately, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, and prioritize workload efficiently and effectively.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Six to eight (6-8) years’ experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department advising on privacy and data security issues, including negotiating and drafting contracts, and providing compliance related guidance.
- Experience providing privacy and data security guidance in connection with digital, online, and linear advertising, including direct and programmatic sales, ad tech vendors, and related issues (e.g. audience modeling and online behavioral advertising).
- Familiarity with content and digital product distribution agreements, including MVPD, DMVPD, and Application Development agreement (e.g. Apple, Google, etc.).
- Experience providing legal services to international teams.
- Law degree from an accredited law school required.
- Law degree from top tier law school.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.