Associate Principal Counsel – PrivacyApply NowApply Later Job ID 781719BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Apr. 01, 2021
The Corporate Legal – Privacy Team is a part of The Walt Disney Company’s (“TWDC”) world class Legal Department. The Privacy Team provides privacy and data security legal advice to TWDC’s businesses around the globe in all varieties of cutting edge contexts, including new and advanced technologies, advertising and marketing, content distribution, cybersecurity and incident response, personnel and vendor management, and product development, operation, and distribution. The team’s mission is to ensure that privacy expectations of TWDC’s consumers, employees, and partners’ are met and that their privacy is adequately protected, while still helping our businesses deliver the entertainment, information, inspiration, and magic that is Disney.
TWDC’s commercial success depends on a direct trust relationship with our consumers, employees and partners. This individual will be an integral part of the worldwide Legal - Privacy team working together on the team’s mission. This person will manage input concerning collection, use, and security of personal information in enterprise-wide contract negotiations, and support our employee privacy programs, as well as the assessment of enterprise data practices and policy across business units and segments globally. The Associate Principal Counsel will need to have a strong working knowledge of global privacy and data security laws, rules, regulations, and self-regulatory guidelines, and the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of the overall Legal-Privacy Team.
- Advise, draft, and negotiate privacy and data security terms in contract negotiations with internal and external service providers and vendors.
- Advise on cybersecurity incident response and legal requirements.
- Liaise with global information security operations.
- Support worldwide employee privacy program.
- Manage and review privacy assessments and implement privacy advice.
- Support company response to major consumer privacy initiatives.
- Work directly with business and legal colleagues throughout TWDC, both domestically and globally in several TWDC business segments.
- Membership in the California Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department advising on privacy and data security issues, including negotiating and drafting contracts and providing compliance related guidance.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and writing skills, including attention to detail, as well as the ability to solve problems in an efficient, business-friendly manner in time-pressured situations. Experience with Payment Card agreements a plus.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise creative solutions and strategies for resolution.
- Ability to anticipate and understand risks and impacts contractual provisions and agreements may have a client’s business.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong work ethic and commitment to professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with co-workers and clients.
- Willingness to take “ownership” of projects and think proactively.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work, prioritize appropriately, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, and prioritize workload efficiently and effectively.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Six to eight (6-8) years’ experience in a law firm and/or corporate legal department advising on privacy and data security issues, including negotiating and drafting contracts, and providing compliance related guidance.
- Experience providing privacy and data security guidance in the context of a global privacy compliance backdrop, particularly as pertains to advising on compliance with Brexit, GDPR, LGPD, CCPA/CPRE, COPPA, VPPA, BIPA and other applicable domestic and foreign privacy laws and regulations.
- Familiarity with emerging privacy legal issues, such as those involving biometrics, AI/ML and related issues.
- Experience providing privacy and data security guidance in connection with digital, online, and linear advertising, including direct and programmatic sales, ad tech vendors, and related issues (e.g. audience modeling and online behavioral advertising).
- Experience providing legal services to international teams.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
- Law degree from top tier law school.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.