Associate Principal Counsel, Unscripted Programming & MarketingApply NowApply Later Job ID 773477BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Feb. 05, 2021
Responsibilities:The successful candidate will advise Creative, Business Affairs, Advertising Sales, Digital Media, Marketing, Publicity, Standards & Practices and other network and streaming executives on legal and business issues.
Duties will include:
- Analyzing unscripted programming concepts across multiple Disney networks and platforms for legal concerns and advising on matters of risk management, policy and brand issues.
- Interfacing and working closely with producers and production counsel; monitoring productions on an ongoing basis from initial casting and development through production and exhibition;
- Advising on production and content issues related to intellectual property, privacy and defamation, and clearances;
- Serving as production counsel for internally produced unscripted productions;
- Drafting, reviewing and revising a variety of unscripted production documents such as casting materials, game show and competition rules, unscripted series contestant agreements, and other production documents, releases and agreements;
- Vetting marketing and promotional campaigns and concepts intended for linear, digital and social media platforms ranging from season-long marketing campaigns to user generated content proposals;
- Reviewing and advising on contest and sweepstakes rules and promotional materials;
- Providing counsel and guidance on a wide array of issues to other groups; and
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Chief Counsel.
- Candidate should also have one or more of the following:
- Production legal experience, especially in the area of unscripted programming;
- Experience working with in-house marketing departments;
- Working knowledge of right of publicity, copyright/trademark, defamation and privacy laws; contests and sweepstakes law;
- Working knowledge of legal and clearance issues with digital and social media, including user generated content;
- Familiarity with talent, licensing and rights agreements.
- A minimum of six (6) years of law firm and/or in-house legal experience, preferably with at least two (2) years’ experience in television or production.
- The candidate should have excellent interpersonal and communication abilities; possess outstanding drafting skills; demonstrate motivation, accountability and independent initiative; and be able to prioritize, multitask and work quickly and collaboratively under tight deadlines.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.