Associate Principal Counsel, Unscripted ProgrammingApply NowApply Later Job ID 7006860220220227 Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jun. 27, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
Disney Legal is seeking a highly qualified attorney to take on a wide range of responsibilities in the areas of development, production and exhibition of unscripted programming for linear networks and digital platforms such as ABC Entertainment, Disney+ and Hulu, as well as advising on advertising, marketing and promotional content on linear and digital platforms.
Responsibilities :The successful candidate will advise Creative, Business Affairs, Advertising Sales, Digital Media, Marketing, Publicity, Standards & Practices and other network and streaming executives on legal and business issues. Duties will include:
- Analyzing unscripted programming concepts across multiple Disney networks and platforms for legal concerns and advising on matters of risk management, policy and brand issues.
- Interfacing and working closely with producers and production counsel; monitoring productions on an ongoing basis, from initial casting and development through production and exhibition;
- Advising on production and content issues related to intellectual property, privacy and defamation and clearances;
- Serving as production counsel for internally produced unscripted productions;
- Drafting, reviewing and revising a variety of Unscripted production documents such as casting materials, game and competition show rules, unscripted series contestant agreements and other production documents, releases and agreements;
- Vetting marketing and promotional campaigns and concepts intended for linear, digital and social media platforms ranging from season-long marketing campaigns to user generated content proposals;
- Providing counsel and guidance on a wide array of issues to other groups;
- Helping manage and oversee other attorneys in the group; and
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Chief Counsel.
Basic Qualifications :Candidates should also have one or more of the following:
- production legal experience, especially in the area of unscripted programming;
- working knowledge of right of publicity, copyright/trademark, defamation and privacy laws; contests and sweepstakes law;
- working knowledge of legal and clearance issues with digital and social media, including user generated content;
- experience working with in-house marketing departments;
- familiarity with talent, licensing and rights agreements.
- A minimum of six (6) years of law firm and/or in-house legal experience, preferably with at least two (2) years’ experience in television or production.
- The candidate should have excellent interpersonal and communication abilities; possess outstanding drafting skills; demonstrate motivation, accountability and independent initiative; and be able to prioritize, multitask and work quickly and collaboratively under tight deadlines.
Preferred Qualifications :
Required Education :
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
#legalaffairs, #LI-TD2 and #CORP_MEDIA
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.