Associate Principal CounselApply Now Apply Later Job ID 822305BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Searchlight Pictures Date posted Oct. 11, 2021
- Draft, analyze and negotiate above-the-line talent contracts for feature film development and production.
- Draft complicated rights acquisitions and provide legal analysis related to chain-of-title, intellectual property rights and other rights management matters.
- Draft and negotiate agreements relating to film acquisitions, co-productions, co-financing and/or distribution agreements including inter-creditor agreements, copyright mortgages and other security agreements.
- Draft and negotiate Production/Financing/Distribution agreements, production services agreements, lending and assignment agreements and related corporate set-up documents; collaborate with tax and finance regarding best corporate structure for individual pictures (domestic and international); and review and advise on production incentive regulations and agreements.
- Serve as production counsel to feature films for theatrical and streaming release with a wide range of budgets filming on a domestic and international basis; address legal matters as they arise in the context of pre-production, production and post-production, including but not limited to: script/film clearances, labor relations/collective bargaining agreements, engagement of minors, immigration, customs, environmental regulations, review titles and credits.
- Draft and negotiate confidentiality agreements, submission releases, non-disclosure agreements.
- JD degree. Admission to California State Bar Association (or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel) and law degree from an accredited law school.
- Minimum 5 years of significant legal experience with a minimum of 2 years in the entertainment industry.
- Solid understanding of theatrical motion picture business and legal issues. Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in streaming, motion picture, episodic, television and new media industry.
- Superior drafting, negotiation, communication and organizational skills. Experience drafting and negotiating live-action, animation, television, streaming, SVOD and/or other entertainment contracts preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment and act as a resource to colleagues with less experience. Ability to build interdepartmental relationships at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and present arguments to higher-level attorneys and clients to help shape strategic decisions made by those individuals.
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise level perspective.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high volume projects. Demonstrates a clear ability to manage fast-paced production environment.
Additional Information:#legalaffairs #LI-TD2
About Searchlight Pictures:
Searchlight Pictures is a specialty film company that both finances and acquires motion pictures. It has its own marketing and distribution operations, and the films are distributed internationally by Twentieth Century Studios.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Searchlight Pictures.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.