Associate Principal CounselApply NowApply Later Job ID 980395BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted May 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Networks and Business Operations Legal Team (NET-BOLT) partners with various businesses across the Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution division. We are responsible for advising the TV networks, including ABC and its owned stations, ESPN, Disney, FX, Freeform, and National Geographic, as well as the streaming services, including Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, on all of their business operations. Our legal work spans content acquisition, corporate strategy, data, marketing, media buying, and a number of other transactional and counseling matters.
NET-BOLT is looking for an experienced media lawyer to have legal responsibility for: (i) television series, film, digital, streaming and other content acquisitions for our TV Networks, cable streaming services platforms; and (ii) franchise management (e.g., licensing, merchandising, talent agreements for consumer products). You will lead legal negotiations, and contract drafting and closing on complex transactions and initiatives. This position will provide strategic advice and guidance to internal groups on legal requirements to operationalize contractual provisions and deal structures on a wide range of strategic initiatives for NET-BOLT. In so doing, you will liaise with subject matter experts in various fields such as intellectual property, clearance, licensing, marketing, privacy, business affairs, sales, technology, regulatory, labor relations, social media, tax, and music. If you are someone who is
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide variety of content and franchise management agreements and other legal documents, recommending approval/modification of contracts proposed by outside parties
- Maintaining knowledge in specialized legal areas, including emerging trends, specifically in connection with: (i) content, (ii) distribution, (iii) intellectual property, (iv) consumer products; and (v) digital and streaming media platforms
- Recommending and implementing enhancements to established processes and workflows
- Providing strategic legal advice and guidance that marries content and distribution technology strategy initiatives of the company
- Drafting and negotiating NFT and podcast agreements
- At least eight years of in-house and/or law firm experience negotiating content agreements
- Ideal candidates will have developed their skills at a law firm and honed their subject matter expertise(s) at a large media company, after graduating with a Juris Doctorate degree
- Exceptional ability to spot issues, assess and communicate risks, make common-sense decisions, and find flexible/creative solutions to achieve business goals
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, analytical, organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Strong ability to work independently and to contribute positively as a collaborative member of a team, with a strong commitment to curiosity, learning and excellence
- Meaningful experience in other relevant areas such distribution and intellectual property is a plus
- JD or equivalent
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.