Associate Software Engineer - Core, USDApply NowApply Later Job ID 10022488 Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Sep. 21, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we develop daily.
We are looking for an associate engineer to join our Production Technology team, targeting software development in multiple domains, from core libraries to user interfaces. In this role, you will partner with artists, production and technology leadership, technical directors, cross-team software engineers, and other technologists and researchers across Walt Disney Studios. You will be supporting, designing and implementing innovative workflows and state of the art solutions motivated by our new long-term vision for Walt Disney Animation Studios.
● Designing and implementing core infrastructure to manage our shot, environment, and asset definitions and structures
● Building new APIs to allow for artist-facing and data management tools to more readily access shot content
● Supporting our productions by identifying and solving technical obstacles encountered by our artists
● Extending and improving the core libraries used for end-user tool creation
● Creating new user interfaces and tools for artists and technical directors to author, edit, access, and inspect shot and asset content
● Adopting new external DCC’s and integrating them into our pipeline
● Writing new tools and plugins into 3rd party apps for rough to fine story development
● Devising artist dashboards for consolidating and managing tasks, encouraging collaboration and visibility into the characters, environments, story and the overall film making process
What does it mean to be a developer here at WDAS?
● Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of our tools, from developing the underlying algorithms through building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
● Work hand in hand with artists and a team of cross-site developers to make the tools we need for the incredibly complex characters/environments featured in our content.
● Develop on top of a highly performant, extendable in-house application framework.
● Develop new artist-centric interaction models using the latest hardware and technologies.
You will succeed in this role if you have:
● The ability to quickly produce clear, testable code
● Understanding of the importance of performant solutions
● Good problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills
● Ability to collaborate with team members across different disciplines including directly interfacing with stakeholders to understand requirements
● Exemplary communication, teamwork and problem solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability. Able to collaborate with team and leadership to prioritize competing demands based on business value.
● 0-2 years of experience designing and developing complex user facing software, ideally in a studio environment.
● Proficiency in C++, ideally C++11/14
● Experience with scripting languages including Python
● Experience building clean interfaces using modern UI development toolkits such as Qt
● Knowledge or use of Pixar's Universal Scene Description (USD) file format and APIs
● Understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts, and algorithms
● Knowledge of animation, graphics techniques and algorithms
● Strong mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra and numerical methods
● Strong understanding of coding process, standards, continuous integration and testing principles
● BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.