Character Designer, Tiana Long-Form SeriesApply NowApply Later Job ID 979682BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted May 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
Join the Tiana Long-Form Series Team!
We are excited to continue the story of The Princess & The Frog in our upcoming long-form Disney+ series. Tiana follows the newly crowned Princess of Maldonia as she sets off for a grand new adventure, but a calling to her New Orleans past isn’t far behind. We are looking for passionate Character Designers to join the Tiana Series filmmaking team.
Character Designers create the concept art and designs that help bring a film’s characters to life. They inform, inspire, and touch many aspects of our creative pipeline. A character designer translates a director’s ideas into drawings, creating designs that service character personality, movement, and performance and providing a wide range of expression for animators to act with on screen. Character designers also provide technical turnarounds, pose and expression sheets, and color packets to inform downstream departments.
We’re looking for experienced Character Designers who have a rich imagination, a sense of whimsy and appeal, and solid volumetric drawing abilities. An understanding of color, shape, anatomy, and graphic design are also key skills needed to breathe life into our characters. We want designers who will bring fresh and unexpected viewpoints to our work and our workplace. We encourage and embrace original thinking and passion to enhance and contribute to our artistic legacy of animated appeal.
To apply for this position you must include a portfolio and resume.
- Design characters based on the director’s vision
- Execute detailed character technical drawings to expedite collaboration with other departments in the pipeline
- Collaborate with and address notes from a Production Designer and Art Director in completion of all assignments
- Proactively engage and collaborate with the Art Department
- Familiarity with Photoshop
- Professional experience in traditional hand drawn animation strongly encouraged
- At least 2 years of studio professional experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Character designs featuring volumetric shape language
- Character designs in a range of styles and archetypes, all with specific and clear personality and appeal
- Drawings of character moments and relationships
- Examples of character packeting and pose sheets
- Observational sketches & studies
- Work that demonstrates an understanding of acting, observation, volume, anatomy, staging, color, and movement
- If any of your work is password protected, please include the password with your application (even if just included on your resume)
- Social media accounts may be submitted as a supplement to your portfolio but should not be your primary portfolio (websites or multipage PDF files submitted via a Google drive preferred)
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Secret Lab, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The Secret Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.