Costume DesignerApply NowApply Later Job ID 829701BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Jul. 16, 2021
Costume Designers create the concept art and design guidance for the outfits and wardrobes of our iconic characters. They inform, inspire, and touch many aspects of our creative pipeline. Costume Designers bring a director’s vision to life, creating wardrobe designs that will reflect and accentuate the personalities of the characters wearing them as well as facilitate a wide range of character performance and movement. Costume designers also provide technical drawings and research to inform the construction and detail of material texture, weight, and movement for such collaborative departments as modeling, surfacing, and simulation.
We’re looking for experienced Costume Designers who have a rich imagination, a sense of whimsy and appeal, and a vast knowledge of fashion history and innovation. We want collaborative designers who will bring original and unexpected thinking and passion to our team and enhance our artistic legacy of animated appeal.
- Research clothing from a wide range of time periods and styles
- Design narratively driven costumes to enrich the worlds of our films based on a director’s vision
- Collaborate with the Production Designer and Art Director of Characters on all assignments
- Be comfortable working in a variety of genres, time periods, and design styles
- Execute detailed construction call-outs and technical packeting work to expedite collaboration with downstream departments in the production pipeline, communicating directly with departments as necessary. Call-outs and packets include information on material types, color, texture, construction explanation, and photographic examples or technical drawings that support the final designs
- Proactively engage and collaborate with the Art Department
- Possess a working familiarity with Photoshop
- Experience with tailoring and working with fabrics and/or Marvelous Designer a bonus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Portfolios Should Include:
- Narratively driven costume designs (for animation, film, theatre, toy/product design, personal story, etc)
- Designs in a range of styles and time periods
- Designs suited for various demographics and body types
- A range of costume sketches, technical drawings (detailing material, movement, articulation, etc), and finished drawings and paintings of costumes. Examples of actual fabricated costumes are a bonus
- If any of your work is password protected, please include the password with your application such as including it on your resume if needed
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Secret Lab, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The Secret Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.