Counsel - Consumer Products, Games and PublishingApply NowApply Later Job ID 856658BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Sep. 21, 2021
This position supports the consumer products, games and publishing businesses within the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment of The Walt Disney Company and includes merchandise licensing, book publishing, and production and licensing of in-person and virtual events (e.g., live onstage explorer talks, virtual events and offerings, concerts) with an emphasis on matters related to the National Geographic brand. As such, the successful candidate must be comfortable with handling diverse legal, regulatory, and compliance issues, and have the judgment to know when to elevate issues to senior attorneys in the department and legal subject matter experts. The successful candidate must also be adept at briefing non-legal colleagues on complex legal issues.
We are looking for a candidate who reflects the innovative spirit and creative talent that defines the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment—the segment that brings the magic of The Walt Disney Company’s powerful brands and franchises—including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, Twentieth Century Studios and National Geographic—into the daily lives of families and fans around the world to create magical memories that last a lifetime.
- Draft, review, and negotiate various contracts, including talent agreements, license agreements for merchandise, license and distribution agreements for print and/or digital media, publishing agreements, and services agreements related to in-person and virtual events (e.g., live onstage explorer talks, virtual events and offerings, concerts)
- Analyze contracts in response to business questions, as well as to provide necessary contractual/research information to supervisor (to assist in assessing options and risks associated with each option)
- Provide advice on legal issues relating to intellectual property licensing and related activities including reviewing style guides, promotions, and licensee packaging and marketing materials.
- Acquire and maintain a clear understanding of various rights (including talent and asset restrictions) relating to NatGeo content and its use in consumer products in order to provide legal advice to clients, domestically and internationally
- Coordinate with subject-matter experts within Disney (e.g., privacy, tax, intellectual property, technology, and international labor standards) to address issues arising from consumer products or agreements and new product or event types to ensure compliance with Company policies
- Collaborate with technology implementation team to launch virtual offerings involving in-house technology applications and third party platforms
- Help to establish, update, and maintain processes and templates to create and maintain efficiencies
- Provide creative solutions to complex business and legal issues, across a variety of subject matters, scenarios, and alternatives
- Be a team player who collaborates well with business clients and Legal Department colleagues
- Perform such other responsibilities as may be deemed necessary in support of Consumer Products
- At least 5 years of significant legal experience in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or an in-house corporate legal department
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, identify and analyze complex issues, assess potential risk and impact and devise creative solutions and strategies. Must have a commercial and solution- oriented mind-set, and must be willing to take ownership of projects and think proactively
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise-level perspective
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high-volume projects with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality
- Law degree (JD or equivalent) from an accredited law school
- Admission to the California State Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.