Counsel – Distribution (Basic Cable, Broadcast Syndication and Formats)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10030706 Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Oct. 28, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, direct-to-consumer streaming services, products, parks and experiences, and our television shows and networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
The Distribution Legal group negotiates and provides legal counsel for the distribution of The Walt Disney Company’s world-class feature films, television content and online direct-to-consumer offerings. We represent Disney’s expansive portfolio of brands from the Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Twentieth Century Studios and Searchlight) television entertainment, sports and news (including ABC Entertainment, ESPN, ABC News, Disney Channel/Disney Junior/Disney XD, FX Networks, National Geographic Channel and Freeform), and our innovative direct-to-consumer offerings (including Disney+, ESPN+, STAR+ and ABC News Live). The role is for the legal team supporting Disney Platform Distribution, which is part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution (DMED) division.
This team is the legal hub for Disney content distribution on a global scale, including theatrical distribution, television network distribution, over-the-top distribution of direct-to-consumer offerings via video streaming platforms, physical home video, electronic home video (“EHV”), transactional video-on-demand (“TVOD”), subscription video-on-demand (“SVOD”), ad-supported video-on-demand (“AVOD”) and linear television. The group also advises business executives on distribution technology matters, related legal and policy matters, and handles content protection.
The Distribution Legal group is seeking an inquisitive attorney to work in a fast-paced environment on innovative, high-profile, industry-leading content distribution matters for Disney Platform Distribution, including Internet and television distribution of Disney’s portfolio of motion picture and television titles on a linear (free, basic, pay), SVOD, AVOD and direct-to-consumer basis (e.g., Hulu, Star, and Disney+). We’re looking for a bright, energetic, self-motivated and reliable person who can work closely with other senior attorneys, and with other internal groups, and will exercise the highest level of ethics and discretion.
- Work closely with senior attorneys and directly with business units on drafting, negotiating and closing license agreements:
- with Disney’s direct-to-consumer applications and paid subscription products such as Hulu, Disney+ and Star;
- with third party distribution licensees in the U.S. and Canada across a wide variety of traditional and new platforms and business models, including broadcast syndication, basic cable, pay television and digital OTT platforms such as SVOD and ADVOD; and
- for the acquisition of motion picture and television content to support the strategic distribution activities of Disney Platform Distribution on a global basis; and
- for the acquisition and distribution of television formats with third parties and Disney business units worldwide.
- Provide advice and counsel to business and legal personnel regarding distribution issues and analysis of contractual provisions, and where necessary, interface with and seek advice from other lawyers and executives from relevant internal groups (network and studio legal and business affairs, sales, technology, regulatory, antitrust counsel, labor relations, privacy, music, affiliate relations, ad sales and operations, etc.).
- Provide ongoing oversight of legacy agreements, including legal issues related to distribution relationships, e.g., MFN compliance.
- Work independently and manage negotiations with minimal supervision while ensuring Company’s policies, procedures, intellectual property rights and other key concepts are properly addressed.
- Minimum 2-4 years of legal experience
- Outstanding drafting and legal writing skills
- A deep interest in entertainment, media and technology industries, and willingness to learn about new areas
- Ability to work independently or under limited supervision
- Team-oriented and have the ability to take a solutions-oriented approach to legal issues
- Ability to multi-task and work quickly and collaboratively under tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, with outstanding interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate complex concepts and issues effectively with colleagues, counterparts and management
- Prior experience with entertainment, media and technology issues is helpful, but is not required
- Some prior exposure to copyright law, intellectual property licenses and Internet and mobile platforms is preferred
- JD or equivalent
- Admission to California State Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.