Already applied?View Dashboard
Counsel – Marvel StudiosApply Now Apply Later Job ID 660129BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Marvel Studios Date posted Apr. 18, 2019
Job Summary:At The Walt Disney Studios, you’ll help bring compelling stories to life through film, music and live entertainment.
We are seeking an attorney to join Marvel Studios’ legal affairs team in Burbank, California. This counsel position will offer a unique opportunity to enter the entertainment law field. The position will be given a high level of responsibility on various direct-to-consumer matters and theatrical motion picture co-promotion deals.
Responsibilities:As part of the counsel’s day-to-day responsibilities, the counsel will have the opportunity both to work alongside and learn from more senior business affairs executives and attorneys on larger transactions and to run relatively smaller transactions on a more independent basis. As a member of the team, you will be responsible, with moderate supervision, for all legal matters arising during the course of direct-to-consumer productions to which you are assigned. Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of direct-to-consumer agreements (including agreements with key talent) and providing legal counsel to production executives and other key stakeholders in an accurate and timely manner will be an important part of these responsibilities. The counsel position will also be expected to provide these same production executives and other key stakeholders with timely and thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues involved in the production of our motion picture and direct-to-consumer projects. In addition, the counsel will serve as the day-to-day attorney supporting placements and co-promotions related to Marvel’s theatrical motion pictures.
- Minimum of 1 year of significant legal experience in the entertainment industry is preferred
- Solid understanding of motion picture and television business and legal issues. Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in motion picture and television industry
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment. Ability to build interdepartmental relationships at all levels and must understand role in overall department
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and present arguments to higher-level attorneys and (when and where appropriate) to clients to help shape strategic decisions made by those individuals
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise level perspective
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high-volume projects
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit and an enthusiastic attitude toward innovation in the entertainment business and legal affairs area
- Ability to thrive in a hard-working, fast-paced, collegial, in-house environment is required
- Ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality
- Superior drafting, negotiation, communication and organizational skills. Experience drafting and negotiating live-action, motion picture contracts preferred
- Admission to California State Bar Association (or Registered In-House Counsel) and law degree from an accredited law school
- JD degree
About Marvel Studios:
Marvel Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world through incredible characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther and Captain America. The Marvel Cinematic Universe multi-film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel Studios, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with a vision as far-reaching as our stories.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Studios LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel Studios.
Marvel Studios LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.