CounselApply NowApply Later Job ID 856655BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Sep. 30, 2021
Responsibilities:LEGAL EXPERTISE & LEADERSHIP:
- Provide direction and guidance in connection with all legal issues related to the production of original material.
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements for the development and production of original live action programming for telecast on a variety of platforms: streaming services and cable networks.
- Analysis and advice in connection with intellectual property matters, claims, clearances, and other matters arising out of the day-to-day operations of a large television studio. Clients will include such other departments as Business Affairs, Creative, Development, Production, Production Finance, Casting and Casting Administration, Contract Administration, Marketing, and Brand Management.
- Experience in the following areas is essential: live action, scripted television production; distribution/acquisition agreements; copyright; trademark; clearances; defamation; rights of publicity and privacy, and other personal and property rights.
- Work closely with the Litigation Department and outside counsel on litigation matters relating to all aspects of the Twentieth Television business, including distribution, production, labor and clearances.
- Work closely with the corporate Intellectual Property group in connection with intellectual property issues, including anti-piracy, clearance, privacy/defamation, patent, trademark and music issues.
- Coordinate with the corporate Tax Department on tax issues for Twentieth Television, working often in this regard with Business Affairs.
- Partner effectively and work closely with Labor Relations, Business Affairs and Production on high-level and strategic labor issues that confront Twentieth Television.
Basic Qualifications:Work Experience
- Qualified candidate will have a JD degree and 4+ years’ experience, preferably in Legal Affairs in the television or streaming industry. Intellectual property, corporate transaction and/or litigation experience at a major law firm or studio will also be considered.
- Demonstrated success in earning the trust of legal and business executives to handle complex and sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, and writing skills; as well as ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
- Basic knowledge of AFTRA/SAG, DGA and WGA rules for live action content.
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer with a commitment to a positive working environment within the legal organization.
- Exceptional drafting, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently, executing multiple high priority projects with keen attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, sound judgment and discretion.
- Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills, including a healthy sense of humor and the ability to build professional, interdepartmental relationships at multiple levels.
- Television studio, production company, and/or intellectual property experience preferred.
- Experience as a lawyer within a law firm.
- Law Degree
- Bar Membership (California is preferred)
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.