Data Engineer II, Data Platform
Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 844034BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 23, 2021
Job Summary:Disney’s Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) division is a newly formed technology epicenter which combines Disney’s tradition of bold innovation and creativity to directly deliver compelling content to hundreds of millions of people all around the world. Comprised of Disney’s media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the DMED segment aligns technology, content, and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. Our employees are leading, creating, innovating, and making bold moves in unexpected directions that redefine not just what a mass media entertainment company does, but what it can do.
Within DMED, the Advertising Platforms team is responsible for creating and scaling innovative global advertising solutions by building mission-critical tools and workflows to support digital & linear ad sales, traffic, marketing and parts of broadcast operations. Being part of the DMED team is a once-in-a-career opportunity to be a part of what’s next.
Using the latest Oracle technologies, the Data Engineer will drive multiple data initiatives applying innovative architecture that will eventually scale to the cloud. You will work to develop the Enterprise Data Warehouse to support BI/Analytics for the Linear Ad Sales Unified Platform. You will work across the different stages of the data pipeline, including acquisition, integration, ODS, and Real Time data marts. You will leverage CDC and utilize data integration tools such as SAP Data Services, Oracle GoldenGate, to deliver real time data for the Ad Sales BI initiative. You will partner with architects, engineers, QA, and the scrum team to deliver data through an Agile philosophy.
We are looking for a creative and talented individual who loves to design a scalable platform which scale at peta-byte level and extract value from both structured and unstructured real-time data. Specifically, we are looking for a technology expert to build a highly scalable and extensible data platform which enables collection, storage, modeling, and analysis of massive data sets from numerous channels. You must be self-driven to continuously evaluate new technologies, innovate and deliver solutions for business-critical applications with little to no oversight from management team.
- The Data Engineer will work directly on the Oracle enterprise data warehouse (EDW) to deliver batch and real time data for analytics and reporting capabilities to the Linear Ad Sales business unit.
- Work across the different stages of the EDW data pipeline, using tools such as Oracle ExaCC Exadata, SAP Data Services, Oracle GoldenGate, Oracle BigData Extension, and Kalido DIW
- Help understand our data by performing exploratory and quantitative analytics, data mining, and discovery.
- Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action.
- Ensure performance is optimized for real time data by implementing and refining robust data processing across landing, integration and data mart layers
- Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with product, data modelers, API developers, DevOps team, and analysts to design systems which can scale elastically
- Mentor other software engineers by developing re-usable frameworks. Review design and code produced by other engineers.
- Provide expert level advice to data scientists, data engineers, and operations to deliver high quality analytics via machine learning and deep learning via data pipelines and APIs.
- Embrace the DevOps mentality to build, deploy and support applications in cloud with minimal help from other teams
- 3+ years of experience working as an Oracle / Snowflake database developer (Oracle 11g or greater) or similar technologies
- At least 3+ years development experience in a data warehousing/ Data Mart or big data environment
- At least 3+ years with data warehouse / Data Mart design experience
- Experience with PL/SQL, SQL, database performance Tuning and optimization.
- Experience with Python Programming language.
- Experience with ETL and other data integration tools such as SAP Data Services, Oracle GoldenGate, and Tidal Enterprise scheduler.
- Ability to develop, implement and maintain standards established by the architecture and Development teams.
- Robust data analysis and root cause analysis skills
- Self-motivated independent thinker and collaborative team member.
- Experience in using CI/CD pipeline (Gitlab)
- Experience in Code Quality implementation (Used Pep8/Pylint) tools or any other code quality tool.
- Implement Industry Standards /Best Practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Media Ad Sales and Finance experience preferred
- Experience with Kalido
- Experience with AWS, Kafka, Snowflake, Airflow or other cloud technologies
- Bachelor’s degree or better in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent job experience.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.