Director, Business Operations
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 738549BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 14/01/2020
Job Summary:DTCI Technology is central to drive future growth of The Walt Disney Company. Our collective team is responsible for worldwide linear and digital media distribution, design and development of all consumer-facing digital products, advertising technology, business platforms, consumer data and international broadcast operations. We drive technology innovation across the entire media and entertainment value chain (distribution, monetization, and consumer experience) and support every brand in the TWDC portfolio – Disney, ESPN, ABC, National Geographic, FX, Fox Sports International, Star, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Freeform, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, hotStar and more.
DTCI Technology Operations is responsible for business product management, relationship management across all of our brands, work intake and prioritization process, demand management, and resource allocation to support both our direct to consumer and international businesses and the services provided across other segments of The Walt Disney Company (Studios, Parks Experiences & Products, ESPN, and Walt Disney Television). This team delivers global program and project management across a portfolio of between 100 – 200 projects at any given time, drives operational optimization, and provides foundational technology critical for day-to-day operations.
- Build and develop a new organization in a new business segment
- Lead a high performing team, ensuring skills remain sharp across entire organization
- Set specific performance objectives and hold teams accountable to deliver
- Navigate complex stakeholder environment to drive results
- Conduct analysis in unbiased, factual manner
- Manage a performance enhancement culture by actively coaching and mentoring direct reports, providing regular feedback and developing employees for broader roles and responsibilities to foster professional growth and personal development
Mobilize and manage strategic (and confidential) initiatives
- Working executive that engages in strategic analysis against an array of business objectives
- Monitor delivery schedules and budgets
- Develop business cases / options
- Raise and manage issues
- Create senior executive deliverables (business cases, strategies, options, data analysis, plans)
Drive program quality assurance
- Ensure consistency in reporting, management, templates, toolsets, and quality
- Provide easy to understand, consistent and transparent reporting
- Identify areas for automation and process improvement
- Student of the game, driving and enforcing leading practices
Strategy articulation and story telling
- Understand business strategy and translate those strategies into explicit roadmaps and group of programs that drive strategic outcomes
- Leverage exceptional story telling skills to break down complex problems, articulate plans and organize around execution
- Collaborate with technical and platform product leads to understand strategic roadmaps
Manage budget and service costing
- Direct management and oversight to $60M+ technology operations budget
- Build service costing organization that provides KPIs and transparency across $1.6B operating budget
- 15+ years of experience managing large scale programs and projects and/or functional organizations.
- 12+ years direct Program & Project management experience with very strong facilitation, communication planning and problem-solving skills.
- 10+ years total of formal management experience at the Director, Associate Partner level or above in a Fortune 500 company or Management Consulting firm.
- The candidate must have proven experience in working in a matrix environment and managing multiple stakeholders, and possess leadership presence/gravitas.
- Relevant work experience or exposure across multiple technology principles and services including infrastructure, network, applications, data platforms, software engineering
- Experience in post-acquisition integration
- Willing to travel up to 20%
- Strategy and planning; ability to synthesize and articulate ambiguous concepts effectively
- Portfolio program and project management
- Technology operations and management
- Technology governance
- Executive presence and related communication skills
- Negotiation and issue resolution capabilities
- Business and technology acumen and understanding of major industry trends
- Excellent people management skills, including the ability to influence and achieve results through others who are not direct reports
- Understands importance of service
- Passionate about maximizing cost performance
- Willing to be creatively disruptive
- Engages in collaborative accumulation and prioritization
- Demonstrated tenacity
- Excellent analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, to technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong commitment to program success metrics
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to share a vision and convince others to embrace and embed in their organizations
- Strong planning, scheduling, and organization skills
- Work effectively in a team environment, and with remote teams and vendors
- Thorough understanding of Project Management Methodologies & Techniques
- CSM / CSP Certification preferred with thorough understanding of Scrum Agile Methodologies
- 5 years Management consulting and strategy experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.