Director, Communications – Next - Generation StorytellingApply NowApply Later Job ID 10007853 Location San Francisco, California, United States / Burbank, California, United States / New York, New York, United States / Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Aug. 08, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
For nearly 100 years, The Walt Disney Company has defined and re-defined entertainment by leveraging technology to bring stories to life in deeper, more impactful ways. Some of those innovations—like the first synchronization of sound and animation or the revolutionary work of ILM and Pixar—come to life on-screen. Others, like the pioneering of Audio-Animatronics, come to life in the physical world. Today, Disney is at the forefront of new paradigms for how audiences engage with its content, characters, experiences, and stories in new ways. It is working to connect the digital, physical, and virtual worlds in new ways, expanding and redefining the boundaries of storytelling, and creating richer, more holistic, and innovative relationships with consumers.
Some will call it the metaverse. Some will call it Web 3.0. At Disney, we think about it as the next great storytelling frontier — new canvasses to pursue Disney’s strategic pillars of Storytelling Excellence, Innovation, and Audience Focus.
Disney is seeking a Director, Communications to lead the day-to-day Communications efforts in support of Next-Generation Storytelling and Consumer Experiences – an initiative that will involve multiple lines of business, across multiple segments of The Walt Disney Company. The Director, based in Los Angeles, New York or in the San Francisco Bay area, will lead strategic communications in support of multi-faceted initiatives that are expanding and redefining the boundaries of storytelling, and creating richer, more holistic and innovative relationships with consumers.
This role will involve partnering very closely with Communications leadership and the Sr. Vice President, Next Generation Storytelling & Consumer Experiences, as well as various content, technical and communications leaders and teams. The Director will be responsible for helping develop day-to-day communications strategies, plans and executions that position The Walt Disney Company at the forefront of the new storytelling canvasses.
The ideal candidate has a strong internal and executive communications track record, as well as well-established relationships with business, media industry, tech, and consumer press; a proven ability to partner collaboratively with cross-functional stakeholders to identify and develop complex and multi-faceted narratives and execute high-impact communications programs.
The right person for this role will be passionate and deeply familiar with the way that entertainment and technology are converging in new and exciting ways; will have experience working with both creative and technology teams and products; will have a baseline knowledge and understanding of Web 3.0 technologies and principles; be an expert storyteller, a strong writer, highly curious and have dynamic executive presence.
- In partnership with their Sr. Leader, develop, implement, and evolve strategic communications plans and materials that help articulate and advance Disney’s vision, strategy, and goals in next-generation storytelling, consumer experiences and the Company’s position at the forefront of development in the metaverse.
- Partner closely with leaders and teams in content, technology, communications, and marketing to develop and manage strategic communications programs.
- Lead cross-segment communications planning and collaboration in support of Next Generation Storytelling and Consumer Experience initiatives.
- Serve as a key Communications lead, point of contact and coordinator – working in a matrix environment as a collaborator and subject matter expert to communications and other line-of-business leaders and teams.
- Lead the development of high-level narrative and positioning, internal and external messaging, press materials, content for intranet and other communications platforms.
- Develop internal and stakeholder engagement plans and presentations, in coordination with Next Generation Storytelling leaders and working groups.
- Develop thought leadership plans and platforms for key leaders, including (but not limited to) SVP of Next Generation Storytelling & Consumer Experiences.
- Develop, evolve, and regularly update ongoing key talking points and messaging for Next Generation Storytelling & Consumer Experiences, which can be leveraged by leaders across, up and down the organization to create cohesive positioning for the Company’s innovative role in these emerging areas.
- Develop and manage a plan for industry presence and engagement through speaking opportunities and thought leadership.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with press.
- 10+ years of experience in communications – including experience working with both content and technology teams.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a highly matrixed organization
- 3-5 years of experience leading a team
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into compelling, actionable insights
- Experience with media relationships across business, trade, tech, and consumer press
- Mix of creative and technical passions
- Excellent writer across both creative and technical styles
- Experience with cross-functional leadership
- Experience working with C-level technology executives
- Self-starting, with strong impulse to taking initiative and an ability to work with limited direction when needed.
- Attention to detail, organized with creative instincts and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and tasks, innate sense of urgency and ability to manage up to executives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.