Director, Consumer Data ScienceApply Now Apply Later Job ID 737239BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Jan. 16, 2020
Are you curious, creative, and love data? Do you love to learn new things and collaborate with stunning colleagues to solve hard and interesting problems? Do you want to be on the cutting edge of breakthroughs in data and analytics, encouraged to discover, challenged to think bigger, and supported to learn new things personally and professionally? Do you love the challenge and excitement that comes with not knowing today, what problem you might be working on tomorrow?
The Walt Disney Studios seeks a Director of Consumer Data Science to join the Studio Consumer Insights & Analytics team. This team is a highly visible department that plays an integral part in key business decisions across the Studio organization and the company. The position will oversee teams responsible for audience insights, loyalty program analytics, data governance and first party data platform development and analytics. This role will solve business challenges and enable the organization to make data driven decisions through advanced analytics and modeling solutions.
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries, is a diversified worldwide entertainment company with 2015 annual revenues of $52 billion. Its five business segments include Media Networks, Parks and Resorts, Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products, and Disney Interactive. The Studio Entertainment segment produces and acquires live-action and animated motion pictures, direct-to-video content, musical recordings and live stage plays.
- Responsible for leading the Studio’s long-term consumer data strategy and data driven culture, including first party data aggregation and optimization, loyalty member and audience analytics and scientific modeling for various lines of business including marketing science, distribution, and digital marketing
- Subject matter expert for the studio on all data science needs including advanced analytics and complex predictive modeling and algorithms, responsible for prioritizing efforts with partners across the company - managing decision scientists efforts
- Lead and implement the strategy and roadmap for data tools and platforms in collaboration with the studio technology data services and product teams as well as coordinating efforts across the company
- Identify areas of opportunity and lead team focused on new technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to improve how we do business
- Lead a data science team to solve business problems and advance strategic studio goals by leveraging consumer data across the company
- Work closely with key business stakeholders to develop a data strategy that is consistent with the needs of a quickly changing industry
- Develop a strategy for measuring effectiveness of tools and be an advocate for socializing key data initiatives
- Work with team to define requirements across product, data, and engineering to craft a suite of data tools and projects—including tracking specs, data processing engines, experimentation framework and platform, machine learning platforms, predictive modeling and data visualization and dashboard tools
- Uncover the needs of internal customer groups—including executives, CRM Team and business intelligence and analytics teams—and couple them with intuitive and actionable data solutions such as deriving business critical KPIs for future growth
- Lead team focused on creating business specific predictive models to measure third party programs that impact our business such as subscription moviegoing and various pricing strategies of the Studios filmed entertainment
- Be subject matter expert in all things consumer data and how data is activated for distribution and marketing across theatrical and in-home businesses
- 10+ years of industry experience in data related fields, including data science, data strategy and data product management
- 5+ years’ experience working with data science and advanced analytics teams, shaping strategies and delivering proven results
- Experience providing data science support to marketing strategies including media mix modeling, multi-touch attribution modeling, segmentation and media targeting
- 5+ years managing people/team
- Expertise in predictive modeling and analysis, algorithm development, machine learning algorithms, and data visualization solutions
- Experience with data science and analytics tools (e.g., DataBricks, SQL, R, Python) and data visualization (e.g., Tableau, MicroStrategy)
- Experience partnering with cross-functional teams like engineering and analytics to define, build, and maintain products which are essential to growth, engagement, and retention
- Knowledge of consumer data platforms (CDP) and best practices coordination of data governance and taxonomy across large enterprises
- Experience manipulating large data sets focusing efforts of the team on the most critical problems being introduced by our business stakeholders
- Experience working with media and marketing science teams to develop best-in-class tools for audience segmentation, media targeting and re-targeting and attribution models to measure effectiveness of applied methodologies
- Familiarity with core statistical concepts, including hypothesis testing, the design of experiments, and confidence intervals
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, MIS, Information Management, Business Analytics
- MBA preferred
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.