Director, Corporate Communications/Executive SpeechwriterApply Now Apply Later Job ID 734812BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jan. 09, 2020
We are looking for an experienced communications professional to join our Corporate Communications team as the Director of Corporate Communications & Executive Speechwriter to support Disney Television Studios and ABC Entertainment (e.g., ABC Entertainment, Freeform, ABC Owned Television Stations, ABC Studios, 20th Century Fox Television, and Fox 21 Television Studios).
The Director of Corporate Communications & Executive Speechwriter will serve as a strategic partner for Disney Television Studios and ABC Entertainment. The role will be responsible for delivering high-quality executive communications for top studio executives: writing, editing, crafting, and contributing to the enhancement of our communications through internal and external speaking engagements.
The role will serve as the central hub for corporate and executive content, tone and style for all communications materials that are published internally and externally to ensure brand, thematic, and message consistency, and therefore the ideal candidate must be an artful writer and skilled strategic communicator who can translate complicated concepts into clear, compelling language for audiences ranging from key stakeholders to media to consumers.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker who inspires confidence, takes initiative, and has impeccable attention to detail. The role must demonstrate a combination of strong business acumen, with the ability to translate complex issues and deliver creative, thought-provoking narratives for internal and external speaking engagements.
- Serve as the primary speechwriter for senior Disney Television Studios and ABC Entertainment executives as required, and develop a keen understanding of each executive's style, tone, and preferences for speeches and executive communications.
- Identify, research and produce written products that include keynote speeches; talking points and Q&As; executive presentations; board presentations; white papers; and other business communications.
- Keep current on relevant industry, economic, governmental issues that should be reflected in or referenced in communications.
- Support media relations, public affairs and other communications initiatives that require high-level written deliverables. Assist with ensuring synergistic messaging and brand consistency across all communications channels.
- Work with business stakeholders to capture key and up-to-date information, developments, and nuances about the business and industry.
- Create an organized, functional 'store' of needed information, statistics etc. for various communication uses.
- Work with communications and marketing executives to create and manage robust speakers bureau and calendar of appropriate events.
- Serve as a key member of the global corporate communications team to support media relations and communications needs for other areas of Walt Disney Television as needed. Includes interacting with communications peers in the business units as well as enterprise associates and key media.
- Oversee development and distribution of press materials, key messages, Q&A documents.
- Communicate regular media and issues updates to senior management.
Basic Qualifications:Experience Required:
This position requires a minimum of 8-10 years of communications experience in corporate or government setting. The ideal candidate has a strong track record in producing high-quality, crisp speeches and presentations for senior executives or government leaders. All applicants for the position must submit a portfolio of material to demonstrate mastery of speechwriting and presentations. BA is mandatory. Television/media industry experience is nice to have, but not required.
Functional Knowledge and Business Expertise Required:
This is a communications position that will operate at the highest levels of Disney Television Studios and ABC Entertainment, therefore requires the requisite business skills needed to be credible with our executive team. In addition to functional expertise in corporate communications and impeccable writing skills, the incumbent must be business savvy and be able to see the world through the lens of multiple stakeholders: senior executives, consumers, industry experts, and the larger business community. General awareness of business trends and media industry trends is also required. The desired candidate is the type of person who reads major national newspapers, magazines and websites and is conversant in the issues that define the moment.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Riverside Television Services, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
Riverside Television Services, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.