Director, Executive Communications (Disney General Entertainment)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 774545BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Feb. 18, 2021
This position is primarily responsible for the development of strategic and creative speechwriting and executive communications. Responsibilities include defining key messages, identifying and creating internal and external speaking opportunities, and developing compelling content that resonates with each unique audience. This role will research, craft, write, and edit internal and external executive communications including speeches, keynotes, Town Halls, corporate presentations, emails, and public commentary. The role will serve as the central hub for corporate and executive content, tone, and style for all communications material to ensure brand, thematic, and message consistency and impact. The individual will provide thought leadership on how to identify and leverage executive opportunities to further build and support our business and brand. The position reports to the vice president of Corporate Communications.
The ideal candidate must be an artful writer and skilled strategic communicator who can translate complicated concepts into clear, compelling language for audiences including employees, key stakeholders, industry leaders, and media. The position will build strong relationships with leadership and the Corporate Communications team to define and package impactful messaging that positively expresses the mind and heart of the business by aligning with our strategy and culture.
- Serve as the primary speechwriter for DGE senior executives, as required, and develop a keen understanding of each executive's style, tone, and preferences for speeches and executive communications.
- Contribute to other executive communications projects as required.
- Define ways for executives to most effectively communicate our strategy, position, and values.
- Identify, research, and produce written projects from inception to finished product including keynote speeches, executive presentations, board presentations, talking points, Q&As, and other business communications.
- Scale the voice of executives to further extend the message as appropriate to both internal and external audiences.
- Keep current on relevant industry, economic, and governmental issues that should be reflected in or referenced in communications.
- Provide support on issues management, including researching sophisticated and sensitive topics, drafting statements and fact sheets for public and internal distribution.
- Support media relations, public affairs, and other communications initiatives that require high-level written products. Assist with ensuring synergistic messaging and brand consistency across all communications channels.
- Create an organized, functional “store” of needed information, statistics, etc. for various communication uses.
- Create robust speakers bureau and calendar of appropriate events as well as serve as basic media training lead.
- Serve as a key member of the corporate communications team which includes interacting with executives, communications peers in the business units as well as enterprise associates.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, online influencers, and key internal stakeholders.
- Respond to media inquiries and act as company spokesperson as required.
- This position requires a demonstrated ability to create stories and presentations that reflect both the mind and heart of DGE’s most senior executives.
- The ideal candidate has a strong track record in producing high-quality, impactful speeches and presentations for senior executives or government leaders.
- All applicants for the position must submit a portfolio of material to demonstrate mastery of speechwriting and presentations.
- In addition to functional expertise in corporate communications and impeccable writing skills, the incumbent must be business savvy and be able to see the world through the lens of multiple stakeholders: senior executives, consumers, industry experts, and the larger business community.
- General awareness of business trends and media industry trends.
- The desired candidate is the type of person who reads major national newspapers, magazines, and websites, and is conversant in the issues that define the moment.
This is a communications position that operates at the highest levels of DGE and therefore requires the requisite business skills needed to be credible with our executive team.
- Television/media industry experience is nice to have but not required.
- Bachelor's Degree
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.