Director, Inclusion StrategyApply NowApply Later Job ID 772711BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Feb. 19, 2021
Responsibilities:In close partnership with Disney Animation business and creative leaders and HR partners:
- Lead as a Diversity and Inclusion Practitioner. Build and drive a strategic plan for equity, diversity and inclusion with a focus on people, market and culture and aligned with The Walt Disney Company’s 6 pillars (Transparency, Representation, Accountability, Community, Content, and Culture).
- Build strong relationships and assist Disney Animation leaders to build a robust pool of diverse creative talent across projects including pointing creative teams to appropriate community partners in partnership with The Walt Disney Studios Inclusion team, advising on equity, diversity and inclusion topics specific to the productions, assisting in creating alliances with community partners to diversify production staff and teams, and identifying and recommending diverse narrative and storytelling opportunities that serve to present Disney Animation films and series to the widest, most diverse audience possible
- Serve as internal cultural creative resource to identify red flags and inaccuracies in story and recommend ideas for improvement
- Work with Disney Animation internal groups focused on inclusion work including the Studios’ Diversity & Inclusion Think Tanks, as well as employee-led groups
- In conjunction with The Walt Disney Studios Inclusion team, be a key partner in identifying cultural consultants and subject matter experts to advise on production and identify, manage, and liaise non-profit and community organizations for engagement
- Provide research and data to reinforce the importance of diverse narratives
- Partner across Studio and Disney Animation HR to develop and implement tightly integrated solutions that drive inclusive behaviors and business practices at all levels. Examples include:
- Deliver and scale internal employee training, resources and programming to further advance a culture of inclusion
- Provide coaching and guidance and leverage Employee Resource Group to promote inclusion within business and creative process
- Consult with Talent Acquisition and Studio Inclusion team to diversify talent pipelines and external / industry partners to connect Disney Animation with high caliber talent that reflects our audiences
- Establish consistent metrics and reporting to enable leaders to assess performance, inform decisions on how to achieve objectives, and assess the ROI of their efforts
- Create and moderate safe spaces for honest and practical dialogue around DEI while challenging conventional wisdom
- Evaluate and report the effectiveness of Disney Animation DEI activities and their impact on business results.
- Key strategic partner with internal DEI team at Disney Animation providing support, guidance and management.
- Develop and share an ongoing and inspiring narrative about our progress against the strategy
- Identify, develop and foster relationships with industry thought leaders, consultants and partners to apply best practices and help drive an inclusive culture
- Represent Disney Animation on diversity-related topics at conferences, professional associations and business meetings
- Liaison with TWDS core Inclusion team on recommendations, referrals and partnerships as connected to the overall Corporate strategy
- Lead a team of two - one team member who is focused on working with HR, BERGs (Business Employee Resource Groups), Training and Recruiting, Enterprise D&I teams and the other team member who is focused on content, filmmaker engagement, consultant engagement, vetting content, ensuring best practices for all departments and xlobs connected to the content and partnering and working with the Multicultural Audience Engagement Studios team.
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in business, marketing, HR or related area
- Knowledge of best practices and innovative talent trends in the market place
- Leads with the business in mind; thinks and acts strategically
- Challenges accepted wisdom
- Cultivates their own curiosity AND focuses on impact
- Has a compelling track record of leading or influencing transformation of talent processes and at the leadership level
- Demonstrated success leading and influencing, as an executive champion, the practice of diversity & inclusion
- Capabilities around and experience in leading the integration of multiple data sources (including primary and secondary research, social media) into clear, actionable insights and stories
- Moves quickly, with regular communication and visible progress against objectives
- Builds concrete solutions
- Sees around the corner, understands long-term trends
- Knowledge of analytical techniques and how to leverage research (e.g. employee research)
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.