Director of Business Affairs & Legal Counsel (Disney Music Group)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 10067272 Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Music Group Date posted Jan. 10, 2024
The Disney Music Group (DMG) is the music hub for TWDC, encompassing all aspects of music commercialization and marketing: recorded music (Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records), Disney Music Publishing, and Disney Concerts. DMG distributes music both physically and digitally, and also licenses music throughout the world in various forms of media including television, print, gaming, and consumer products.
The Director, Business Affairs and Legal Counsel, DMG mainly provides business and legal affairs services for Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records, but may also support music publishing, business development and concert initiatives as well.
The Director’s role and primary focus is providing day to day business and legal affairs services, advice and support in the areas of recorded music related to Disney branded music assets and Hollywood Records recording artists, global catalog initiatives, data and technology improvement projects, and marketing efforts.
Primary responsibilities include legal research and advice; negotiating and drafting agreements including: recording and other artist-related agreements (including but not limited to agreements for producers, mixers, re-mixers, and featured artists); creative asset commissioning; supporting business development and marketing initiatives such as contests, practical activations, social media campaigns, and sponsorship, endorsement and partnership agreements; research and drafting to support licensing agreements and other arrangements; assisting with implementation of and compliance with agreements and policies; reviewing and drafting soundtrack album-related agreements, music publishing agreements and licenses.
As well as working as an integrated member of the business and legal affairs team, the Director will work closely with all DMG departments on a global basis to provide advice and to service their business and legal affairs needs and to offer workable guidance and solutions. The role may include directing and supervising the work of junior staff. The Director reports to and directly supports the Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs primarily responsible for Disney Branded Content as well as a number of Hollywood Records recording artists.
Position requires directly relevant experience and a high-level of demonstrated expertise relevant to the above subject matters and related drafting. Familiarity and interest in legal operations and information management systems and tools are a plus as there is an expectation that the Director will support ongoing data management and technology improvement projects and engage in historical research. Strong interpersonal skills are foundational to success in this role.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Review, clear and/or advise on content such as podcasts, advertising and marketing materials, social media content, BTS materials, a/v content, and special projects from legal, business and brand perspectives
- Support ongoing data and technology improvement projects
- Support global business and legal teams with business and legal affairs advice as well as drafting related to local initiatives and localization
- Advise royalty accounting and finance teams on royalty provisions, financial obligations and entitlements
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of music industry agreements and other legal and business documents focused mainly on label artists and branded recordings, but with some exposure to DMG’s music publishing business as well
Required Education, Experience/Skills/Training:
- Admission to CA State Bar in good standing, or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
- A minimum of 5 years of experience specific to music industry
- Demonstrated strong communication, drafting, analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and think strategically, practically and creatively when solving problems
- Resilience to working within a complex fast-moving organization
- Willingness to be proactive
- Strong project management skills
- Familiarity with or interest in repertoire, rights and other information management systems
- Practical understanding of the music business and its day to day functions
- Ability to work with multiple business partners
- Strong client relationship and support skills
- Ability to think strategically and synthesize complex business/financial and other data
- Demonstrated ability to manage simultaneous priorities and serve the needs of multiple stakeholders within the department, other departments and outside the business unit within the wider Walt Disney Company
- Familiarity with a variety of social media and user-generated content platforms
The hiring range for this position in Burbank, CA is $154,105 to $199,430 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Music Group:
The music is the soundtrack of our lives – from your favorite hits by popular artists to beloved tunes from films like Mary Poppins and Frozen. Find the music that rocks your world right here at the Disney Music Group (DMG), headquartered in Burbank and home to Hollywood Records, Walt Disney Records, Disney Music Publishing and Disney Concerts. DMG releases film and television soundtracks from the world’s biggest entertainment brands, including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, the legendary Star Wars, ABC and Disney Channel, alongside pop, dance, family music and the catalog of classic rock band Queen. DMG is also an innovator in music distribution and live concerts. If music is your passion, come be a part of the team that brings it to ears all over the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hollywood Records, Inc, which is part of a business we call Disney Music Group.
Hollywood Records, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.