Director, Publicity and Communications (ABC Owned Television Stations)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 734811BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jan. 07, 2020
We are looking for an experienced communications professional to join our Corporate Communications team at WDT as the Director of Publicity and Communications for ABC Owned Television Stations (ABC OTV) across the eight owned markets: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, San Francisco, Raleigh-Durham, and Fresno.
This position would serve as the primary communications strategist to build a proactive media engagement and publicity strategy for group-wide and individual stations that build on the strength of the ABC OTV brand. The role will partner closely on the business strategy and development of key initiatives including the award-winning Localish programming, data journalism, community journalism, and multiplatform innovation that are transforming the local news industry. The role will be responsible for leading communications for key executive speaking engagements, award nominations, and public relations opportunities. The role will also partner closely with teams across WDT and The Walt Disney Company around synergy opportunities.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic, out-of-the-box thinker who is skilled at delivering pristine communications assets, effectively pitching stories for key trade and industry outlets, and finding creative opportunities for differentiated storytelling. The role must demonstrate the ability to quickly learn complex business issues, and find creative ways to share the work of ABC OTVS.
- Serve as the communications partner for senior ABC owned television station executives, including the President of ABC OTV and owned station General Managers.
- Work closely with business and content development executives to build a proactive engagement and publicity roadmap.
- Manage group-wide and individual executive nominations for leading industry awards.
- Advise on group-level digital, web, and social activations for special projects and strategic initiatives.
- Support media relations, public affairs and other communications initiatives that require high-level written deliverables. Assist with ensuring synergistic messaging and brand consistency across all communications channels.
- Oversee development and distribution of press materials, key messages, Q&A documents.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, online influencers and key internal stakeholders.
- Respond to media inquiries and act as company spokesperson as required.
- Communicate regular media and issues updates to senior management.
- Serve as a key member of the global corporate communications team to support media relations and communications needs for other areas of Walt Disney Television as needed.
Basic Qualifications:a) Experience Required
The position requires a minimum of 8 – 10 years of communications experience. Experience in the television/news industry is preferred, though not required. The ideal candidate has a strong track record for developing and driving a comprehensive communications strategy, and delivering high-quality speeches and presentations. All applicants for the position must submit a portfolio of material to demonstrate mastery of a broad range of communications assets. BA is mandatory, advanced degree is preferred.
b) Functional Knowledge and Business Expertise Required
This is a communications position that will operate at the highest levels of ABC Owned Television Stations and Walt Disney Television. The ideal candidate must possess the ability to keep up with local, national, and global current events to find opportunities to drive forward strategic presence on behalf of ABC Owned Television Stations, while always being cognizant of the context of being a part of the larger global Disney brand.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Riverside Television Services, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
Riverside Television Services, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.