Director, ResearchApply Now Apply Later Job ID 710747BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Oct. 04, 2019
At The Walt Disney Studios, you’ll help empower film makers and studio executives with the insights to create entertainment products that delight fans around the world.
The Studio Consumer Analytics and Insights team is a dynamic group of researchers and analytics professionals who bring the consumer voice into Studio decision making every day. We are looking for a Director, Research, to work with various teams across the In-Home Division of DTCI.
Reporting to the Vice President of Consumer Insights & Strategy, this position leads a team responsible for managing primary quantitative and qualitative research studies, analyzing and synthesizing data, and ultimately serving as a strategic consumer and industry advisor to key stakeholders within the In-Home Division. The Director plays an instrumental role in the day-to-day management and analysis of several simultaneously occurring research projects.
- Develop a holistic research plan in alignment with the business objectives of key In-Home stakeholders.
- Help build and manage a budget to support the research plan.
- Represent the voice of the consumer, providing thought leadership accordingly.
- Deliver strategically actionable insights that drive key decision making, while contributing to high-level business discussions supported by consumer and industry intelligence.
- Serve as the key consumer insights and strategy point of contact for various groups within the In-Home Division and The Walt Disney Studios.
- Establish strong working relationships with peers and Sr. Leadership within the In-Home Division and The Walt Disney Studios.
- Direct, and lead a team managing, research projects from inception to completion, including the development of appropriate methodologies, vendor selection, data analysis, report delivery, and presentation of findings.
- Specifically, direct in-home movie-specific research including, but not limited to, Market Positioning Studies, Commercial Testing, Tracking and Post Release Surveys in order to maximize the physical and digital sales potential of each in-home release.
- Oversee the management of a weekly tracking study of the advertising and availability awareness of, and intent to purchase, in-home releases.
- Conduct numerous ad-hoc, custom quantitative and qualitative research projects on an as needed basis.
- Acquire and manage syndicated research products as required to meet the needs of internal stakeholders.
- Synthesize primary and secondary research to inform product and marketing decision making.
- Prioritize a multitude of simultaneously occurring research projects.
- Perform strategic analysis as requested by Sr. Leadership.
- Respond to time sensitive data requests from internal clients.
- Oversee research staff in a motivational and developmental manner.
- Oversee, manage and optimize workflow; identify opportunities for process improvement, increased productivity and cost efficiencies.
- Manage expectations of internal clients as it relates to project timelines, budgets, and deliverables.
- Oversee the management and maintenance the research department’s project and knowledge management solutions.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with research counterparts across The Walt Disney Company as well as external vendors.
- Be at the forefront of industry trends amidst a rapidly changing landscape.
- Stay abreast of current trends and new techniques in the field of market research.
- At least 10 years of quantitative and qualitative market research experience.
- An extensive research background
- At least 3 years of experience in entertainment or CPG research.
- International market research experience required.
- At least 4 years of experience managing staff in a research capacity.
- Have experience planning and managing a large research budget.
- Willing to travel domestically and internatonally as needed.
- Exceptional quantitative and qualitative research project management skills, including presentation of findings to Sr. Leadership.
- Strong multitasking capabilities and the ability to work effectively in an environment of tight deadlines and constant change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to summarize ideas and issues to Sr. Leadership.
- Strong attention to detail without losing sight of broader objectives.
- Ability to represent the Vice President of Consumer Insights & Strategy in key stakeholder meetings.
- Flexible personality, quick learner, and a strong, pro-active work ethic.
- Able to work autonomously as well as part of a team, including in a supervisory role.
- Able to think out-of-the-box in the development of methodological approaches.
- Computer literate with proficiencies in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and (preferably) Keynote.
- An extensive research background, including at least 4 years of supplier-side experience and 3 years on the client-side
- Experience with Workfront a plus
- Confident, self-motivated, and detail oriented.
- Analytical thinker who enjoys problem-solving.
- Strong business acumen.
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for innovation.
- Organizational savvy, with the ability to “read a room.”
- Compelling storyteller.
- Willing to challenge traditional thinking.
- Superior social, collaboration, and communication skills.
- Strong builder of relationships and trust.
- Passionate consumer of content – movies, TV, SVOD.
- Familiarity with the brands and franchises of The Walt Disney Company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Psychology or related field.
- MBA or advanced degree in Market Research or Statistics a plus.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.