Director, Software Engineering, Data & Intelligence
Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 810049BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jun. 19, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering leader with strong communication and collaborative skills, a proven track record of building and scaling teams, and an inspiring vision and passion for how data can inform business and product decisions.
The newly created Data & Intelligence team sits within the DMED Technology's Content Platforms group. Our mission is to build the data muscle of our Media Supply Chain by maturing our data infrastructure and practices, and by building services and partnerships that support long term growth and sustainability.
The new position of Director of Software Engineering – Data Engineering will report to the VP of Engineering and will partner with engineering, product management, data science, and business leadership to design and implement new data models, modern data pipelines and data products in the Content Platforms space to turn our Media Supply Chain into a data-driven ecosystem.
- Serve as a technical and leadership mentor to the team.
- Encourage and set the example for collaboration across functions. Forge solid relationships with peers in other disciplines.
- Must be a high-energy leader able to delegate and mentor effectively, yet roll up their sleeves when required to achieve results or demonstrate effective behavior.
- Able to lead one or more teams to deliver high quality data products.
- Translate business requirements into data models that are easy to understand and used by different disciplines across the group.
- Partner with business domain experts, data analysts and engineering teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, and aligned with business strategy.
- Design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA.
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements.
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools.
- 7+ years of engineering management experience.
- 12+ years of data engineering experience.
- Expert-level knowledge of Amazon AWS big data and analytics solutions.
- Deep understanding of relational, NoSQL, and Graph data stores, methods and approaches.
- Expertise in building and managing large volume data processing (both streaming and batch) platform is a must.
- Experience in building message based distributed, scalable and resilient systems.
- Experience with data warehouse technologies like Redshift, Snowflake or related.
- Fluency with data exploration, business modeling, and visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Looker)
- Experience in a start-up, fast-growth, or rapid-change environment.
- Skilled at recruiting, building a diverse team and ability to identify talent.
- Strong problem-solving skills to identify the root cause and implement the fix.
- Ability to build trust and partnerships across various teams and functions with strong influencing and change management skills.
- Outstanding communication skills – written, oral, presentation and storytelling.
- Ability to be flexible, adapting to changing priorities and able to juggle multiple projects at once.
- Experience with stream processing engines like Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar or similar.
- Experience with Hadoop and Spark.
- Experience with Azure and Google big data and analytics cloud solutions.
- Experience with Python, Java and Scala.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical field.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.