Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 702118BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 06/09/2019
Movies Anywhere is seeking a Web Engineering Manager to join a team of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for a leader who wants to shape the next generation of video consumption applications. We are a team that values passion, community involvement, and code that stands out. If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you.
Responsibilities:What You Will Be Creating:
- Provide day-to-day management and oversight for several web front-end software engineers at varying levels of expertise in their own careers, building mobile and desktop web apps for consumers, at large scale.
- Understand the team’s committed-to deliverables, and guide them toward completion of that work on time, and at quality. Participate in the agile process, and help to ensure that the work assigned to individual engineers is the right level of challenge, and in areas that interest them and that they can be successful in.
- Serve as a technical and leadership mentor to the team. Set goals with individual team members and provide regular feedback to them during their execution of those goals.
- Encourage and set the example for collaboration across functions. Forge solid relationships with peers in other engineering disciplines and more widely, in Product Management, Marketing, Quality Assurance, Analytics, etc.
- Overall, own the delivery of our web applications as “best in class.” Instill in the team a desire and a capability to deliver apps that are seen by stakeholders and customers as setting the bar.
- Be very passionate about coding (If you have a Github profile, that’s awesome! Would love to check it out! Otherwise we will ask you to code before or during the interview).
- Be very passionate about architecture and design and aware of the different layers that exist in a system (we will ask you to design a system during the interview).
- Be capable of leveraging data structures and algorithms to solve problems (i.e. Knows CS fundamentals, understands performance/complexity of an algorithm).
- Be a master of:
- Front end MVC frameworks such as React or Angular
- CSS (LESS/SASS/Stylus)
- CSS methodologies
- Responsive design and SPA development
- Security and performance of web applications
- Cross browser development
- Unit testing using Karma and Jasmine, or equivalent
- Designing, building, and maintaining an entire system, including the front end and everything necessary to deliver that front end to the browser (NodeJS, Java, PHP, Ruby on Rails, or equivalent)
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD)
- Have a proven track record in delivering large scale business application or consumer facing application
- Demonstrated skill in building complex direct-to-consumer web applications that ship at-scale. Must have participated on, if not led, a team that built a high-profile web application for consumers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to be one of the team, but also manage up to Directors and upper-level executives.
- 3-5 years (minimum) of hands-on front-end web software engineering experience.
- 2 years (minimum) as a software engineering manager, with 5+ direct reports at any given time.
- Experience with web-based TV application platforms a plus
- Familiarity with streaming media applications is a plus.
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years of experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Movies Anywhere, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Movies Anywhere is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.