Already applied?View Dashboard
Executive Director, Business Affairs & Legal Counsel, TVAApply Now Apply Later Job ID 596826BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney ABC Television Group Date posted Oct. 09, 2018
Job Summary:The Executive Director, Business Affairs & Legal Counsel, TVA is expected to work in a collaborative fashion with other departmental members and members of related departments, including Creative, Production, Production Finance, Programming, Marketing, Brand Management, Publishing and Digital Media, reporting to a Vice President of Business Affairs. The position will have day-to-day responsibilities in connection with the development and production of animated television projects for Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior and Disney’s direct to consumer streaming service. Such duties will include structuring, negotiating, managing and advising on deals, drafting of contracts, advice on rights and legal clearance, and analyzing intellectual property and other related issues.
- Meet with creative, production and finance executives to determine what deal parameters should be and advise regarding labor and related issues;
- Negotiate deals and successfully liase with talent representatives;
- Draft and finalize contracts;
- Review and advise regarding intellectual property issues and clearance as to content;
- Work with third party production companies with respect to business affairs and legal matters on assigned productions; and
- Work with business partners throughout the company to advise and document as necessary with respect to exploitation of TVA content outside of television broadcast.
- A minimum of 8 years of combined experience in a law firm and/or network/studio, with strong preference for studio/production business affairs experience.
- Solid work experience with respect to guild and union agreements, contract law, first amendment issues, and/or intellectual property law (including defamation, right of publicity, parody).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills.
- Excellent creative problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong ability to work independently and to contribute positively as a collaborative member of a team, with a strong commitment to learning and excellence.
- Prior production and/or distribution experience, or other entertainment, media experience.
- Related experience in entertainment-related field, with emphasis on contracts, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property law.
- Experience in employment law, including wrongful termination and wage and hour issues.
- California Bar membership preferred.
- Must have a 4-year degree and a J.D.
- Must be a member in good standing of a State Bar.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.