Executive Director, Productivity Engineering
Bristol, CT - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 764198BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 10, 2020
Job Summary:Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
DTCI includes Disney’s international media operations and the Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service, the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu, and the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN. BAMTECH Media, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company as part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment.
As Executive Director, Productivity Engineering, you will touch the lives of Disney fans around the world, working on innovative digital products from brands like Disney, ESPN, National Geographic, ABC News, ABC Entertainment, Star Wars and more. You will lead the Productivity Engineering team, whose primary goal is ensuring speed-to-market of DTCI’s technology while continually improving the quality of the products that Disney is known for. This role makes you a stakeholder in every digital property developed and released by DTCI, as well as the platforms that power them, which collectively reach 230 million users worldwide, who spend more than 14 billion minutes per month visiting them.
The Executive Director, Productivity Engineering, will lead a talented group of software engineers and analysts dedicated to providing platforms, tools, and services that ensure all Disney products achieve the quality and reliability expected by our guests. The successful candidate will be an experienced software engineering leader who has a passion for leading teams that drive Disney Quality into all of our world-class consumer-facing products, the platforms that support them, and the enterprise applications that power The Walt Disney Company businesses.
- Sets the operational and organizational strategy for the Productivity Engineering team based on KPIs, and drives the tracking, course-correction, and achievement of these KPIs
- Serves as chief technical architect and technical decision-maker for the platforms, tools, and services provided by the Productivity Engineering team
- Mentors Directors, Managers, and senior-level individual contributors
- Collaborates with senior leaders across the DTCI Software Engineering organization to understand needs and provide solutions, including directing technology and process change across all of DTCI Software Engineering
- Leads the evaluation of build versus buy for Productivity Engineering, and determines and enforces the governance process for all contracts owned by the team including SaaS, licenses, and on-site, near-shore and off-shore vendor management.
- 15 years of combined software engineering, engineering management, or quality assurance leadership experience of high-scale consumer-facing or enterprise products in a rapid-release cycle environment, with at least 5 years in a software engineering senior leadership role
- Experience architecting and implementing web, app, and backend frameworks (test automation frameworks preferred)
- Experience leading development or testing of applications and services across all major platform, including web, iOS, Android, SDKs/services/APIs, middleware, and enterprise applications.
- Demonstrated experience implementing developer productivity and quality best practices
- Demonstrated strong leadership experience, ability to drive results with urgency, and collaborative influence
- Demonstrated experience defining and tracking metrics aligned to KPI's and benchmarks to drive process improvement
- Demonstrated professional success growing a team, mentoring engineers and analysts, as well as near-shore and off-shore vendor management
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, adapting to shifting priorities and managing multiple simultaneous high-visibility projects
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including problem solving, decision making, written and oral communications, and ability to work effectively with diverse groups
- Demonstrated ability to seek out, build, foster, and maintain productive relationships and networks
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
- Advanced degree in a technical or business field
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.