Journey Engineer - DMC
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 770351BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Sep. 10, 2021
Job Summary:It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Walt Disney Studios encompasses the creation, production, promotion, sales, acquisition and domestic and international distribution of live-action and animated motion pictures, home entertainment releases, live stage plays, and music and soundtrack recordings. From movie concept to film production, and global premieres to direct to consumer mobile applications, Studio Technology innovates and delivers solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
The DMC Engineering team is part of Studio Technology that supports The Walt Disney Studio. The position will support all of media mastering and servicing activities supported by Disney Studio Operations. This is a high-level frontline, tier-0, support. Will design, deploy, and support systems for Digital Media Center suites. Collaborate with teams in Studio Technology to ensure request and actives are fulfilled in a timely manner. Be a technical liaison with Production and 3rd party vendors.
This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement- IATSE Local 700
- High-level technical support for all post-production edit suites.
- Support media systems (e.g. Clipsters, Transkoder, Adobe CC, Apple Final Cut Pro, Nuke, Maya, Baton QC, Vantage).
- Develop and support file-based workflows for Mastering, QC, and Digital Distribution.
- Create and publish team SOPs.
- Maintain equipment inventory and spares.
- Setup/support executive reviews - local and remote - monitor calibration, SDI and KVM routing, video over IP, Clearview Flex.
- Expert knowledge of operating system administration (e.g. Windows/XP and Macintosh OS).
- Experience with digital video signal chain, distribution systems and components.
- Knowledge in video/audio engineering; signal flow, color science, common video and audio codecs/formats.
- Expertise in Mastering and Digital Distribution workflows.
- Expertise in digital video signal chain (e.g. HD/SDI, DA’s, video converters and extenders, AES, and analog audio).
- General knowledge of IP networking infrastructure.
- General knowledge of monitor and display technologies (i.e. LCD, OLED, 2D/3D, etc.).
- Ability to provide Project Planning; subtasks, bill-of-materials, time/labor, able to re-prioritize when needed.
- Understanding and ability to use Script-based tools (e.g. bash, perl, Python, etc.).
- Knowledge of storage (e.g. SAN, NFS, SMB, AFP, DFS, NTFS).
- General knowledge of data transport tools (e.g. Signiant, Faspex, Aspera).
- Knowledge in configuring and supporting distributed KVM systems
- Strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience at a post-production facility with front-end user support, for live-action, visual effects, or animation.
- Ability to multitask in a highly complex, diverse post production environment
- Ability to quickly prioritize decisions given, oftentimes with incomplete and conflicting knowledge
- Motivated and highly self-directed; manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges.
- Ability to assist in prioritization & communication across a talented team of Y-4 Engineers.
- Experience in creation & updating of technical line drawings and supported documentation used across Studio Technology engineering teams.
- Experience calibrating display systems.
- Understanding of contemporary and emerging sound technologies (e.g. Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X).
- Experience with setting up remote review transport stream multiplexing/switching session over IP.
- This position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement- IATSE Local 700
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.