Journey Engineer – Y4 Sound
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 791428BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Jun. 24, 2021
Job Summary:It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Sound Engineering team is part of Studio Technology that supports The Walt Disney Studio. The position will support all of post-production activities supported by the Sound Department. This includes Audio Mixing Stages (5.1, 7.1, IMAX, and Dolby Atmos), ADR/Remote collaboration, Audio QC, and Mastering Suites.
Please note, this is an IATSE 700 position covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
- High-level front-line technical support for all post-production Sound facilities.
- Work in close collaboration with other members of the Sound Engineering team to design, implement, and maintain feature film Audio Mixing Stages, Mastering, and QC environments.
- Support workflow process and procedures for the Sound Department.
- Configure, maintain, and troubleshoot Avid Pro Tools systems and Avid consoles/control surfaces.
- Collaborate with Studio Technology teams to ensure all Sound Department activities are handled.
- Ensure that content security protocols are followed at all times.
- Experienced in all post-production workflows:
- Traditional console mixing; large format consoles and control surfaces
- In-the-box mixing
- Immersive mixing formats, including Dolby Atmos and IMAX
- ADR workflows; dialog replacement, group, and animation production.
- Excellent client-service orientation and understanding of the nuances of post-production support.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot complex Audio/Video systems and innovate workarounds as required.
- Skilled in macOS, Windows, and Linux operating system.
- Knowledgeable in TCP/IP networking, Fibre Channel fabric, and centralized storage systems.
- Experience working in a high-security environment, focusing on content protection.
- Able to install and support Avid Pro Tools software, hardware, and plug-ins.
- Understand and support remote collaboration software; Source Connect, TVIPS, Evercast, Sohonet - Clearview Flex and Pivot, BlueJeans, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Polycom.
- Proficient at multitasking in a highly complex and diverse production environment.
- Can quickly prioritize decisions when given incomplete or conflicting information.
- Highly self-directed; able to manage and (re)prioritize multiple concurrent and competing challenges and issues.
- Fundamental understanding of component-level electronics and circuit design; familiarity of microcontrollers encouraged!
- Software development experience; GUI, command line, and embedded platforms.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with technology vendors and partners.
- Expertise in StorNext, Avid S6, System 5, and Icon.
- Knowledge of speaker calibration and room tuning
- Comfortable identifying and developing solutions that improve the filmmaker client experience.
- Please note, this is an IATSE 700 position covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.