Lead Data Scientist, Content Platforms, Data & Intelligence
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 821296BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 11, 2021
Locations: Burbank, CA - Bristol, CT - Seattle, WA - New York, NY
Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
We are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join our newly created Data & Intelligence team in the DMED Technology’s Content Platforms group.
The data scientist will join a team of engineers and product managers to deliver the world’s most innovative, automated, and technologically advanced content platform through the integration of predictive models and analytical insight.
The core contributions of the Lead Data Scientist will consist of technically define problems gathered from stakeholders, define experimentation setups and research solutions to the problems identified.
- Design and implement models and methodologies on a variety of datasets to achieve operational excellence and personalization efforts for our digital product lineup
- Make strategic recommendations on data collection, integration, and retention incorporating business requirements and knowledge of best practices.
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools.
- Proven experience contributing to Data Science projects in a commercial setting
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills, and fortitude to get stuff done
- Experience in working with stakeholders to identify business requirements and expected outcome
- Demonstrate the following scientist qualities: clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic, significance, fairness, and aptitude for original research
- Comfortable working in a team environment using Agile methodologies
- Experience in online model development, testing, and pipeline architectures applied to one or more of those fields: anomaly detection, data drift detection, time series forecasting, recommender systems.
- Working knowledge of statistical frameworks (Pandas, NumPy/SciPy, scikit-learn) and machine learning frameworks (PyTorch, TensorFlow) (2+ years)
- Mastery in at least one high-level programming language such as Python or Scala (4+ years)
- Experience in advanced analytic and statistical modeling
- Experience in experiment setup, A/B testing, and results interpretation
- Experience monitoring the full life cycle of models
- Experience in data augmentation techniques
- Experience in SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with ETL pipelines
- Experience with distributed processing relevant technologies like Kafka and Hadoop
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Media Industry experience
- M.S. degree (Ph.D. preferred) in the fields of Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Machine Learning, or other quantitative fields
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.