Manager – Cultural Insights (DGE)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 848462BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Aug. 24, 2021
To succeed at making culture-defining content for our audiences everywhere, DGE needs world-class insights on the forces, dynamics, and values shaping cultural trends and tastes — fueled by the DGE Cultural Insights team. Part of the newly formed multidisciplinary Culture, Landscape, and Content Performance Analytics team, the Cultural Insights team’s mission is to help cultural trends impact creative so creative can impact cultural trends.
The Manager – Cultural Insights should be a growth-focused, cultural trends-obsessed person who wants to be an “intrapreneur” alongside the Cultural Insights lead, and help scale this rapidly evolving team. So if you’ve ever wanted to work at a cultural consultancy startup, but also have the reach and impact of one of the most valuable media companies in the world, this is the team you’re looking for.
- Help continually improve and innovate the Cultural Insights practice, such as its workflows and deliverables
- Help expand our Cultural Intelligence Ecosystem by identifying, evaluating and trialing a range of intelligence sources – from research consultancies to analytics tools to expert journalists
- Represent Cultural Insights in meetings with stakeholders of all levels, identify their needs, then create insights deliverables tailored to those needs
- Lead consumer and cultural insights projects (outsourced or in-house), and handle multiple projects at once across different brands
- Fulfill ad hoc requests for trend, consumer, and/or DEI insights via combinations of primary, syndicated and desk research
- Build strong partnerships and processes for frequent collaboration with DEI teams and other Insights teams across The Walt Disney Company
- Generate clear and engaging deliverables about current and future trends (at large or within specific communities) in order to keep DGE’s creatives and executives informed about their diverse audiences and the worlds they live in
- Present to a range of decision makers in a variety of formats, including interactive workshops, conference presentations, in-depth studies, and more
- Manage junior associates and/or interns on projects
- Minimum 4 years of research experience for a consumer-facing brand, cultural trends consultancy, ad agency, research supplier, media or entertainment company
- Experience with identifying and defining emerging trends or cultural shifts
- Experience with executing or overseeing a variety of qual and quant research methods (including but not limited to surveys, ethnographies, focus groups, social listening, semiotics), distilling results, and producing crisp analyses
- Able to turn consumer insights from “they said…” into actionable findings that move the business forward
- A deep passion for culture and content, and how content trends connect to broader trends (e.g. could spend hours discussing what broader trends in romance/relationships explain why K-dramas are so hot right now)
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for solving problems and answering challenging questions, while maintaining superior attention to detail and accuracy
- Able to be flexible, adapting to changing priorities and able to juggle multiple projects at once
- Comfortable meeting with and presenting to Senior Executives
- Excels at building trust and buy-in with others
- A self-starter and comfortable managing up; able to own projects and execute them at a high level
- Collaborative and inclusive
- Strong communication (verbal, written, listening) and presentation skills
- Exceptional organization and project management skills
- Occasional travel for research and conferences (TBD)
- Experience in consumer foresight, trend forecasting, brand strategy, strategic planning, Diversity & Inclusion (D&I/DEI) work, and/or in the entertainment industry a plus
- Experience designing and executing studies across multiple cultures, countries and/or languages a plus
- Experience with querying in Boolean and/or social listening tools such as Netbase, Talkwalker, Sysomos, or equivalent/related a plus
- Data visualization skills a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC Cable Networks Group, which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
ABC Cable Networks Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.