Already applied?View Dashboard
Manager, Employee RelationsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 711714BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Oct. 11, 2019
Walt Disney Pictures seeks a Manager, Employee Relations to support the Walt Disney Studios Human Resources team. The Employee Relations function is responsible for promoting and enabling a fair and inclusive workplace that safeguards the company’s employment brand by ensuring that employee and company interests are handled in a fair and consistent manner. In addition to responsibility for supporting the ongoing evolution of the Walt Disney Studios’ Employee Relations department, this position will work with the VP, Employee Relations and broader team to collaborate with clients, HR Business Partners, Labor Relations, Legal, and other internal partners, to provide counsel and act as a proactive consultant to the business.
- Ensure compliance of company policies and practices by responding to inquiries regarding policy and procedure interpretation, and providing guidance to HRBPs and employees. Work with lines of business to review and evolve their site-specific policies to ensure alignment with broader company policies and practices. Improve employee relations acumen by training and educating partners and clients on updates to policies and practices.
- Support the performance management process by providing general consultation, preparation of written warnings, performance improvement plans, coaching, key messaging and other related documents.
- Support reduction in workforce efforts by partnering with HR Business Partners and Legal to work through the established process and assist with compiling documentation and summaries for senior management review.
- Create centralized organization, and consistent and automated processes for ER activities to enhance partnerships with clients, HR colleagues, and Legal. This includes the case intake process and management, documentation, tracking systems and reporting.
- Respond to employee concerns and complaints of potential unlawful behavior, such as discrimination and harassment, or that violate Company policies, by supporting the investigation team in conducting timely internal investigations independently or in conjunction with supervisors, HR Business Partners and other business partners.
- Prepare recommendations for review and consult with internal Employee Relations leadership and Legal partners regarding appropriate disciplinary action, including termination of employment.
- Research and respond to agency claims, including DFEH, EEOC, and union grievances as applicable.
- Manage individual cases and address big picture issues. Help determine the root cause and develop proactive strategies to effectively reduce undesirable activity and sustain positive results.
- Cultivate a strong client oriented service rapport with HR Business Partner teams, and other internal partners, that is based on a high level of collaboration and inclusion.
- Manage critical Employee Relations projects that support a fair and inclusive workplace that safeguards the company’s employment brand by ensuring that employee and company interests are handled in a fair and consistent manner.
- Participate in other functional work by leading and participating in related special projects, as applicable.
- 6+ years’ experience in Human Resources; Employee Relations experience preferred
- Knowledge of employment law and practices (with an emphasis on ADA, the interactive process for accommodation requests, and leave of absence requirements); understanding of Company policies, procedures, state and federal laws, with the ability to apply the knowledge to multiple situations
- Ability to independently conduct a thorough investigation
- Strong written and verbal/consultative skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information in a manner that inspires confidence and trust
- Ability to consult, respond to inquiries and influence a wide variety of key stakeholders
- Creative and strategic problem solving skills
- Ability to execute against multiple high priority projects through exceptional organizational, prioritization and effective time/project management skills
- High degree of initiative, independent judgment and discretion
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or related work experience required
- Juris Doctorate preferred
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.