Manager, Image Color & Display Pipeline
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 782964BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Apr. 13, 2021
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. Our studio film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation, and collaboration.
As part of the Motion Picture Labs at Walt Disney Studios; you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment.
The Motion Picture Labs is looking for a Manager, Image, Color, and Display Pipeline to provide color science support for various projects within Marvel Studios, Disney Motion Picture Productions (MPP) and across the broader Disney Studio Technology organization. You’ll provide support for on-set, dailies, VFX and Finishing processes for titles in production; investigate emerging image technologies; design and develop imaging pipeline solutions; and contribute to the development of standards for our Studio and the broader industry. You’ll report to the Sr. Manager of Image and Color at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA.
- Provide support for the Digital Intermediate and Finishing pipeline and systems.
- Working closely with Marvel & Disney MPP Show executives, help establish delivery specifications, image and color pipeline and extraction encoding workflows for each title in production from capture to final distribution.
- Collaborate with Marvel & Disney productions to contribute image and color science expertise and guidance to Shows.
- Oversee the design of, and support color workflows for studio review systems and remote collaboration.
- Liaise with appropriate mastering and distribution teams to ensure Disney’s content is the best quality possible for distribution.
- Oversee assigned projects and be accountable for deliverables in partnership with The Walt Disney Studios studioLAB and Disney Research Studios
- Stay current on the latest display projection technology, color science techniques and technologies, mastering and key emerging technologies. Provide regular trainings, updates, & presentations as required
- Represent Disney MPP as appropriate in industry standardization efforts, tradeshows, and conferences
- Provide cross-department color workflow solutions for titles in production, from on-set to final deliveries.
- Establish image debayer and color pipelines for finishing and VFX plate pulls.
- Create and maintain test environments relating to image science and future technologies.
- Ability to diagnose image quality issues and work with the appropriate teams to resolve them.
- Innovative mindset, Interested in emerging technology and new workflows.
- Knowledge of display hardware technologies as well as image delivery infrastructure design.
- Familiarity and aptitude designing end to end color workflows - especially with Resolve.
- MA/MS in Computer Science, Image Engineering, or related technical field with equivalent experience
- 10+ years’ experience developing within a film, commercial, or similar production environment
- Ability to operate, troubleshoot and support operators using production tools including Avid, Nuke, RV, Baselight, Lustre, and Resolve systems
- Extensive experience with production image and color technologies such as OIIO, OCIO, Camera Raw SDKs, and Color Transforms and transformations
- Expertise in the practical application of ACES and a comprehensive understanding of its limitations and specifications
- Experience working within standards organizations and proven experience contributing to the industry at large
- Experience with large format display and projection technologies
- Strong user-facing skills, with the ability to understand and react to changing user requirements. The ability to engage with production and distill their problem space into a solution is a must
- Practical experience coding in CTL, DCTL, and Python
- Collaboration on open source projects (OIIO, OCIO, OTIO, OpenExr, etc.)
- Experience creating, viewing, and converting LUTs for production workflows
- Experience with the testing, troubleshooting and calibration of displays
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.