Manager, Motion Picture Labs Finishing
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 792270BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Jun. 19, 2021
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. Our studio film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation, and collaboration.
As part of the Motion Picture Labs at Walt Disney Studios; you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment.
The Motion Picture Labs is looking for a Manager, Motion Picture Labs Finishing, to collaborate with the Finishing Lab to contribute image and color science expertise and guidance to shows, and oversee the design of, and support of Motion Pictures Lab Finishing. Work with the finishing artists and stakeholders to design and develop image and color pipeline solutions; and contribute to the development of standards for our Studio and the broader industry. You’ll report to the Director, Motion Pictures Lab at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA.
- Lead a team to manage deliverables to properly support live action productions
- Collaborate with Marvel Studios to contribute image and color science expertise and guidance to Shows
- Oversee the design of, and support of Motion Pictures Lab Finishing services
- Liaise with appropriate mastering and distribution teams to ensure Disney’s content is the best quality possible for distribution
- Collaborate with appropriate teams to improve image and video archive process
- Oversee assigned projects and be accountable for deliverables.
- Stay current on the latest display projection technology, color science techniques and technologies, mastering and key emerging technologies. Provide regular trainings, updates, & presentations as required
- Innovative mindset Interested in emerging technology and new workflows.
- Familiarity and aptitude designing end to end color workflows - especially with Resolve.
- 10+ years’ experience developing within a film, commercial, or similar production environment
- Ability to operate, troubleshoot and support operators using production tools including Avid, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Nuke, RV, Baselight, Lustre, and Resolve systems
- Extensive experience with production image and color technologies such as OIIO, OCIO, Camera Raw SDKs, and Color Transforms and transformations
- Experience developing across multiple platform environments (Linux, Windows, and OS X)
- Expertise in the practical application of ACES and a comprehensive understanding of its limitations and specifications
- Experience working within standards organizations and proven experience contributing to the industry at large
- Experience with large format display and projection technologies
- Strong user-facing skills, with the ability to understand and react to changing user requirements. The ability to engage with production and distill their problem space into a solution is a must
- Experience with Resolve
- Collaboration on open source projects (OIIO, OCIO, OTIO, OpenExr, etc.)
- Experience creating, viewing, and converting LUTs for production workflows
- MA/MS in Computer Science, Image Engineering, or related technical field with equivalent experience
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.