Manager, Post Production Engineering
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 696020BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted 06/08/2019
It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
Responsibilities:This Manager role oversees a team of professionals working on pre-release theatrical films and Direct to Consumer (DTC) shows. This position will provide technical management and engineering direction for “Post Production Engineering (PPE)” and studio technologies “Digital Intermediate (DI) Operations” groups. The manager will lead studio engineering for Avid, Digital Media Center, Sound, and DI teams. This Manager will also direct third party providers performing services and executing projects, and directly interfaces with clients from all levels of the company.
- Direct management of a team of engineers that support filmmaking, including all systems, storage, networks management and support
- Develop and manage technical plans and procedures covering all aspects of support and maintenance, communications (both intergroup and client facing), and downtime response
- Work in collaboration with various Architecture & Operations groups to meet the needs of productions based around the world
- Knowledge of design, deploy and administration of Linux, Mac and Windows systems and enterprise grade storage systems across both corporate and production environments
- Defining and documenting projects and assigning tasks to team members to deliver on business needs.
- Developing standards-based configurations for technology, deployment and administration of all systems and storage
- Identify and manage deficiencies in production environment, isolating root causes and implementing remediation steps to bring about quick resolution
- Working with on premises virtualization and cloud architecture to leverage both technologies and understanding when it is advantageous to do so
- Make sure support engineering team is collaborating with Architecture & Operations groups to make sure that technical standards are being met and reviewed
- Responsible for effective collaboration between technology staff and other internal technology teams that provide support services
- Work to fulfill the vision of Architecture & Operations Leadership as it relates to working with various groups, including Post Production Services, Content & Information Security, Enterprise IT, IT outsourcing partners, and broader Studio Technology groups
- Manage and Report to departmental leadership the performance and deliverables of 3rd party, domestic or offshore technical support suppliers
- Manage Support Engineering group technical operations in the most cost-effective way for a 24x7 shop
- Work with departmental leadership to manage key vendors and partners, both internal and external
- Serve as an escalation participant for tickets related to any infrastructure issues
- Work with departmental leadership to manage budgets, forecasts and 5-year plans for the engineering support
- Responsible for equipment/software maintenance contracts and renewals
- Responsible for 3rd party service contracts
- Strong technical troubleshooting skills and problem management experience as it relates to technical operations and DI workflows.
- 15+ years of experience supporting and maintaining highly complex enterprise storage and server environments within a media production/post production environment
- Strong working knowledge and recent hands-on experience with SAN/NAS storage devices, SAN switches
- Production support Service Level Agreements and tiered support methodologies
- Digital Production environments and overall digital production support
- Large managed networking and hosting environments
- Large-scale routed, switches, firewalled, and load-balancing techniques
- Implement and Manage Data transport toolsets, and file mover technologies
- A seasoned and experienced technical manager, preferably from a dynamic production support environment, able to comfortably oversee highly knowledgeable technical support staff
- Able to multitask in a highly complex, diverse, systems and networking environment
- Able to quickly prioritize and make important decisions given incomplete and conflicting knowledge
- Highly self-directed, being able to both manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that, inevitably, occur when supporting systems and networks
- A team-building leader with good interpersonal, verbal and relationship building skills
- Ability to adapt to new technology trends
- Strong technical leader who can successfully support high availability production environments.
- Exemplify quality, inclusive leadership skills that harbor collaboration
- Situational and strategic awareness of the environment for quick and decisive identification of issues and bringing about resolution
- Tactical thinker with strong organizational skills and ability to quickly pivot as priorities shift
- Able to communicate issues effectively across technical teams as well as to those that don’t possess technical knowledge
- Customer driven, able to provide solutions and reassurance to customers
- Digital Intermediate experience a plus
- Experience with supporting and troubleshooting Autodesk Flame/Lustre and Blackmagic Resolve.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and thus able to explain and document the systems to their diverse audiences
- A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT Engineering, Math or a related field.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.