Already applied?View Dashboard
Manager, Product DevelopmentApply Now Apply Later Job ID 652693BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Apr. 04, 2019
Job Summary:We have created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. The foundation of this creativity starts with The Walt Disney Studios where we produce, acquire, and distribute live-action and animated motion pictures, video experiences, music, and live performances. Our brands include Marvel, LucasFilm, Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Nature and Hollywood Records. No other Media & Entertainment company can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the world.
As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry.
We are looking for a self-starting technology leader who is dedicated to building the future of movie distribution. We’re a casual shop that values passion, community involvement and exceptional software. If this is you, we want you to join our team.
Responsibilities:You will lead a multidisciplinary team and must have deep experience designing and implementing media distribution and digital supply chain systems for Theatrical Distribution across multiple markets. He or she will bring that experience to bear, as well as build a deep understanding of current and future technologies associated with the Studio businesses they support; they will be seen as an expert by Studio Technology and business partners alike.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Lead a cross functional team (Product, PM, Dev & QA) that manages multiple business systems for the Walt Disney Studios, this team are organizationally and internationally dispersed.
- In close partnership with the business stakeholders, develop the product vision and product roadmap, forecast and manage project costs, and drive product performance against key KPI’s
- Work closely with the User Experience (UX) and Visual Design teams to define and build great guest experiences across all multiple platforms.
- Define product features, capture epics, user stories, and tasks using defined processes and tools
- Drive change management as required based on new business processes and business functions working with Studio business leadership
- Maintain and communicate project status in the domain of responsibility
- Build and maintain productive relationships with partners from other segments within the Walt Disney Company, external vendors and other services.
- Analyze and research trends in media distribution.
- Develop success KPIs and measure impact of developed solutions against those KPIs.
- Follow defined knowledge management practices as part of story definition and product owner execution activities
- Articulate how new system features align with the reference business architecture, line of business and studio technology strategies
- Define and measure KPIs that support project business case(s) and recurring spend
Basic Qualifications:Your passion for good software is visible to your team, stakeholders and in every product you and your team delivers. You take business automation seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- A master problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically, and are biased toward delivering requirements fit quickly and within budget constraints considering all available options including SaaS, package, and purpose-built solutions.
- A strong leader. You have learned from experience; you’ve delivered many business solutions from ideation to production; you’re focused on value and drive the right solution in spite of resistance or obstacles.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- Technically astute. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it’s product, industry, or hard tech knowledge, you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
- Goal oriented. You deliver on vision, mission, and strategy through capable project team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you connect business and technology strategies to the software you deliver and can easily articulate the value created
- 7+ Years of leading multidisciplinary Agile teams
- 7+ years of Product Management experience
- 5+ years of business analysis experience in the media industry a plus
- 5+ years of experience using Agile / SCRUM methodologies
- 2+ years working in an operational environment
- Certified Agile Product Owner
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to articulate business design using standard UML diagramming techniques
- Strong partnering skills and ability to work within a collaborative team environment
- Proven ability to meet project milestones and customer expectations
- Proven ability and success working in a global environment
- Evidence of continuous growth and increasing responsibilities in previous positions.
- Excellent project management skills, resource and timeline management, risk assessment, contingency planning and ability to work with external contractors and consultants
- Ability to communicate with all levels of organization (End Users - Sr. Executive Level) and team members
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical developers and translate business requirements as required
- Responsive to business needs and highly motivated to improve the skills and capabilities of his/her organization
- A sense of ownership and responsibility for delivery
- Ability to learn, understand and apply new technologies
- Experience managing teams that are geographically dispersed in a matrix organizational model.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Business preferred
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.