Manager, Production Technology Ops
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 692610BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted 31/07/2019
The Walt Disney Studios encompasses the creation, production, promotion, sales, acquisition and domestic and international distribution of live-action and animated motion pictures, home entertainment releases, live stage plays, and music and soundtrack recordings. From movie concept to film production, and global premieres to direct to consumer mobile applications, Studio Technology innovates and delivers solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations. As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive innovation.
Managers working at Walt Disney Studio Technology must possess a broad, integrated world-view of both Information and Media technologies in order to successfully implement, manage and support the next generation of infrastructure and workflow applications designed to support feature film production, postproduction and distribution. The Manager, Live Action Production Engineering role must be a proven “player-coach”: technically competent to oversee engineering and support, yet disciplined enough to prioritize, delegate and oversee the team of engineers in Studio Technology assigned to those same tasks.
- Direct management of a team of engineers that support filmmaking, including all systems, storage, networks management and support
- Develop and Manage operational plans and procedures covering all aspects of support and maintenance, including change control, communications (both intergroup and client facing), and downtime response
- Work in collaboration with various Architecture & Operations groups to meet the needs of productions based around the world with an emphasis on automation, simplicity and security
- Knowledge of design, deploy and administion of Linux, Mac and Windows systems and enterprise grade storage systems across both corporate and production environments
- Defining and documenting projects and assigning tasks to team members to deliver on business needs.
- Developing standards-based configurations for operations, deployment and administration of all systems and storage
- Identifying requirements for automation tools to support the environment using scripting languages/tools such as Puppet, Perl, Python and Ruby.
- Identify and manage deficiencies in production environment, isolating root causes and implementing remediation steps to bring about quick resolution
- Working with on premises virtualization and cloud architecture to leverage both technologies and understanding when it is advantageous to do so
- Make sure support engineering team is collaborating with Architecture & Operations groups to make sure that operational standards are being met and reviewed
- Responsible for effective collaboration between technology staff based on set, vendors and other internal technology teams that provide support services
- Work to fulfill the vision of Architecture & Operations Leadership as it relates to working with various groups, including Post Production Services, Content & Information Security, Enterprise IT, IT outsourcing partners, and broader Studio Technology groups
- Work with departmental leadership to discuss technical and business decisions that need to be confronted with competing operational trade-offs and manage the resolution to completion.
- Manage and Report to departmental leadership the performance and deliverables of 3rd party, domestic or offshore technical support suppliers
- Work with departmental leadership to develop detailed service specifications designed to guide the activities of 3rd party suppliers
- Assure readily available and secured third party communications
- Manage Support Engineering group technical operations in the most cost-effective way for a 24x7 shop
- Work with departmental leadership to manage key vendors and partners, both internal and external
- Serve as an escalation participant for tickets related to any infrastructure issues
- Work with departmental leadership to manage budgets, forecasts and 5-year plans for the engineering support
- Responsible for equipment/software maintenance contracts and renewals
- Responsible for 3rd party service contracts
Basic Qualifications:Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for the business seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- Strong project management and resource planning experience
- Willingness to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally
- 10+ years of experience designing, architecting and maintaining highly complex enterprise storage and server environments within a media production/post production environment
- Strong working knowledge and recent hands-on experience with SAN/NAS storage devices, SAN switches
- Production support Service Level Agreements and tiered support methodologies
- Digital Production environments and overall digital production support
- Large managed networking and hosting environments
- Large-scale routed, switches, firewalled, and load-balancing techniques
- Implement and Manage Data transport toolsets, and file mover technologies
- A seasoned and experienced technical manager, preferably from a dynamic production support environment, able to comfortably oversee highly knowledgeable technical support staff
- Able to multitask in a highly complex, diverse, systems and networking environment
- Able to quickly prioritize and make important decisions given incomplete and conflicting knowledge
- Highly self-directed, being able to both manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that, inevitably, occur when supporting systems and networks
- A team-building leader with good interpersonal, verbal and relationship building skills
- Ability to adapt to new technology trends
- Strong technical leader who can successfully collaborate with/across teams to bring designs and projects to fruition
- Experience with monitoring tools
- Experience with high speed file transfer systems such as Signiant and Aspera.
- Exemplify quality, inclusive leadership skills that harbor collaboration and provide a “fail safe” environment for the team
- Situational and strategic awareness of the environment for quick and decisive identification of issues and bringing about resolution
- Tactical thinker with strong organizational skills and ability to quickly pivot as priorities shift
- Able to communicate issues effectively across technical teams as well as to those that don’t possess technical knowledge
- Customer driven, able to provide solutions and reassurance to customers
- Network, AWS, VMware, and cloud related certifications a plus
- Experience with centralized management tools and scripting automation tools for systems deployment, management and administration
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and thus able to explain and document the systems to their diverse audiences
- A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT Engineering, Math or a related field
- MBA a plus
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.