Manager, Production TechnologyApply NowApply Later Job ID 10023215 Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Sep. 20, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we develop daily.
The Manager, Production Technology, reports into the Sr. Talent Manager, Production Technology, and is responsible for partnering with the Engineering Leads on individual development teams to provide technical project planning and crew management for the teams they support.
In partnership with the Engineering Leads, they plan projects in detail, deliver performance feedback, strategize talent planning and casting, and encourage positive morale and engagement from team members.
- Oversee the technical project management of multiple development teams, aligning roadmaps, strategies, and competing priorities to establish a cohesive vision for project portfolios, in partnership with Engineering Leads.
- Ensure timely and on-budget delivery of technical initiatives, both production-critical and experimental, with workflows that increasingly empower our artists.
- Partner with Technical and Creative Leadership teams to prioritize projects, manage expectations & risks, identify roadblocks & dependencies, and facilitate collaboration across teams.
- Identify and resolve resourcing requests, managing workloads, backfilling open headcount, and building upon healthy team dynamics.
- Evaluate performance of, deliver feedback to, and seek career growth opportunities for individual development team members.
- Ensure active team engagement, partnering with teams across our Burbank and Vancouver sites to align and continuously improve on onboarding, recruitment, training, and individual growth & development plans.
You will succeed in this role if you have:
- Experience leading teams of technical professionals, as well as the proven ability to support the growth and development of engineers at all levels of experience.
- A proven track record of successfully delivering on a portfolio of multi-disciplinary, complex, software projects with multiple stakeholders.
- The ability to act as a compelling communicator with a strong point of view, and the proven ability to influence others through diplomacy, in large groups or one-on-one settings.
- Consistent and relentless follow-through on issues, plans, and feedback, ensuring expectations are being met through engaging stakeholders and listening effectively.
- Knowledgeable of VFX and Animation industry or technical domain trends.
- 5+ years of project management experience in an Agile development environment
- Solid communication, team-working, and problem solving skills, with a desire to continue to grow in these areas.
- Deep knowledge of project planning/tracking tools like JIRA and Confluence.
- Experience guiding teams in the use of Kanban/Scrum methodologies.
- Technical acumen, with the ability to comprehend complex concepts, workflows, and data, understanding project risks in order to prioritize and communicate to others.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field; or comparable industry experience.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.