Manager, Systems EngineeringApply Now Apply Later Job ID 554102BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Studio Entertainment Brand Marvel Date posted May. 14, 2018
Job Summary:Marvel Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world through incredible characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther and Captain America. The Marvel Cinematic Universe, multi-film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel Studios, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with a vision as far-reaching as our stories.
As part of the Marvel Studios Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment. We’re looking for a passionate engineering leader with extensive knowledge and hands on experience with systems, storage and networking. Proven skills leading a team and driving the technology vision is a must. You should have prior experience with the film production pipeline and associated systems, be intimately familiar with large scale data center infrastructure as well as cloud environments. Lean, agile, self-sufficient teams is how we operate – constantly balancing the urgent needs of our Productions today with lights out solutions for tomorrow. We value a well-engineered approach where we develop infrastructure-as-code with automation doing most of the work.
Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for the business seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- A Leader-You have a demonstrated ability to establish a technology vision and to execute on it. You have exceptional experience in building and leading teams – with a keen eye for strong talent
- A master problem solver-You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically.
- Comfortable with ambiguity-You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- Technically astute-You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it’s product, industry, or hard tech knowledge, you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
- Goal oriented. You develop and actualize vision, mission, and strategy into a cohesive outcome through capable team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you connect business and technology strategies to the software you deliver and can easily articulate the value created.
- Define vision, design, deploy and administer Linux, Windows systems and enterprise grade storage systems across both corporate and production environments
- Defining and documenting projects and assigning tasks to team members to deliver on business needs.
- Developing standards-based configurations for operations, deployment and administration of all systems and storage
- Identifying and/or developing automation tools to support the environment using scripting languages/tools such as Puppet, Perl, Python and Ruby
- Quickly and efficiently identifying deficiencies in the environment, isolating root causes and implementing remediation steps to bring about quick resolution
- Working with on premises virtualization and cloud architecture to leverage both technologies and understanding when it is advantageous to do so
- Integrating with the networking team to ensure optimal performance
- Design and implementation of DR, backup and restoration methods and procedures
- 7+ years of experience designing, architecting and maintaining highly complex enterprise storage and server environments within a media production/post production environment
- Strong working knowledge and recent hands-on experience with SAN/NAS storage devices, SAN switches – preferably ZFS, Isilon and Brocade
- Strong working knowledge and recent hands-on experience with RHEL Linux and Windows 2012R2 or newer
- Experience with high speed file transfer systems such as Signiant and Aspera.
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- Experience with centralized management tools such as Puppet, WSUS, SCCM
- Experience with monitoring tools such as SolarWinds
- Experience scripting automation tools for systems deployment, management and administration
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical leader who can successfully collaborate with/across teams to bring designs and projects to fruition
- Exemplify quality, inclusive leadership skills that harbor collaboration and provide a “fail safe” environment for the team
- Situational and strategic awareness of the environment for quick and decisive identification of issues and bringing about resolution
- Tactical thinker with strong organizational skills and ability to quickly pivot as priorities shift
- Able to communicate issues effectively across technical teams as well as to those that don’t possess technical knowledge
- Customer driven, able to provide solutions and reassurance to customers
- Domestic and International travel occasionally
- Experience with Dell blades and servers is preferred
- Strong working knowledge of DHCP and DNS, Infoblox experience a plus
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Studios, Pay Services, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel.
Marvel Studios, Pay Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.