Manager, Technology Infrastructure
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 700201BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Sep. 12, 2020
Job Summary:The Infrastructure & Support group within the Technology department at Walt Disney Animation Studios (WDAS) manages critical infrastructure technology for the Studio. The team is responsible for the design, operations, and support of a wide range of technologies, including data center engineering and operations, data management including backup and archive, support of large compute, storage systems and core server infrastructure, media/AV systems design and implementation, and all related technical support.
The Tech Manager role will lead technical teams that partner with production stakeholders, systems and software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of foundational infrastructure services motivated by the needs of content production at the Studio.
- Oversee the Data Center engineering team, providing technical guidance for various efforts, and personnel management of team members.
- Work with team members to drive overall direction and create short and long term vision for the team’s areas of responsibilities. These include:
- Support of enterprise server infrastructure, storage and compute systems
- General data center hardware operations
- Cloud systems and services backend
- Systems monitoring
- Data management, backup and disaster recovery
- Electrical and mechanical systems for dedicated technology areas.
- Oversee the Media Engineering team, providing personnel management of team members and technical guidance. Partner with the department director and Media team lead to drive technical direction, work with team members to create short and long term vision for Media technology. This includes:
- Specialized review spaces, Story rooms, theaters
- General A/V support, conference rooms, video conferencing
- Support for Editorial and Post Production
- Work with other technology and Studio leaders to create and execute a holistic strategy for Infrastructure technology.
- Maintain and improve security for areas the teams are responsible for.
- Keep track of various team projects, oversee delegation of efforts across different roles
- Foster relationships with neighboring technology groups, ensuring successful collaboration when needed.
- Provide mentoring to systems engineers, systems administrators and support roles on the team, ensuring a path of growth for each team member.
- Achieve and maintain a working high level knowledge of the technology and technical workflows used at the Studio.
- Oversee creation of relevant technology budgets each year, covering all major initiatives, renewal of equipment, expansion, and disposition.
- Work with the team to keep track of all service contracts, maintenance schedules and other important timelines for equipment and services.
- Manage and maintain relationships with 3rd party vendors, consultants and industry representatives.
- Degree in computer science or related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
- Proven history of experience in an IT or systems environment
- Advanced knowledge of Data Center technology, networking and systems administration.
- Familiarity with consumer and professional audio/visual technology.
- Proven experience managing technical projects and/or teams with competing priorities
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.