Manager, Web App EngineeringApply Now Job ID 456093BR Location Burbank, California, United States Job Posting Company The Walt Disney Studios Job Posting Area The Walt Disney Studios Date posted 05/19/2017
- Provide day-to-day management and oversight for several web front-end software engineers at varying levels of expertise in their own careers, building mobile and desktop web apps for consumers, at large scale.
- Understand the team’s committed-to deliverables, and guide them toward completion of that work on time, and at quality. Participate in the agile process, and help to ensure that the work assigned to individual engineers is the right level of challenge, and in areas that interest them and that they can be successful in.
- Serve as a technical and leadership mentor to the team. Set goals with individual team members and provide regular feedback to them during their execution of those goals.
- Encourage and set the example for collaboration across functions. Forge solid relationships with peers in other engineering disciplines and more widely, in Product Management, Marketing, Quality Assurance, Analytics, etc.
- Overall, own the delivery of our web applications as “best in class.” Instill in the team a desire and a capability to deliver apps that are seen by stakeholders and customers as setting the bar.
- Familiarity working within an agile environment.
- Expert-level knowledge of modern web development for mobile and desktop browsers. Understanding of and exposure to various current-day frameworks, including Angular, React, Ember, and/or others of like purpose.
- Similar level of exposure to, and ability to work with, various modern web servers, including Node.js and Nginx.
- Demonstrated skill in building complex direct-to-consumer web applications that ship at-scale. Must have participated on, if not led, a team that built a high-profile web application for consumers.
- Familiarity with streaming media applications is a plus.
- Passion for quality. Pixel perfection is not overkill, and code coverage with unit tests should be as complete as possible. Performance and correctness are not optional.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to be one of the team, but also manage up to Directors and upper-level executives.
- 2 years (minimum) as a software engineering manager, with 5+ direct reports at any given time
- 3-5 years (minimum) of hands-on front-end web software engineering experience.