Patent EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 711744BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Oct. 10, 2019
The Legal, Patent Group manages all matters patent related, responds to all third-party requests for both inbound and outbound patent licensing offers while also working in conjunction with the litigation team to manage patent litigation matters. Additionally, the team mines all new technology being developed within the company’s various business units for ideas to protect patents and manages outside law firms who prepare and file the patent applications worldwide.
The Patent Engineer is responsible for harvesting and reviewing inventions that will contribute to the development of our patent portfolio. This person will be measured by their ability to understand and capture inventions from our technical team, including drafting invention disclosures, conducting prior art searches and evaluating the results, and communicating the concepts to audiences of varied technical competency. Additionally, they will need to be able to assist in the drafting of patent applications and patent litigation matters.
- Conduct patent mining sessions and work with engineers to identify patentable inventions
- Communicate inventions to members of the intellectual property community for approval
- Conduct patentability searches
- Draft invention disclosures on behalf of engineers
- Prepare drafts of patent applications (software & hardware) and assist in patent litigation matters
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the patent field
- Proficiency with USPTO systems (PAIR, PatFT, EFS Web)
- Understanding of U.S. and foreign patent laws
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing with attorneys, staff, and external contacts
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements, while maintaining exceptional accuracy
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding non-legal matters of a routine nature
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and with others in a cooperative, enthusiastic and friendly manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts
- Ability to network with technical teams to mine for patentable inventions and to lead invention brainstorm sessions.
- Admission to the US Patent & Trademark Office
- BA/BS in an engineering discipline (electrical preferred, will also consider computer science and mechanical).
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.