Principal Counsel - DistributionApply Now Apply Later Job ID 710791BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Oct. 17, 2019
This position will serve two functions. Its primary function will be to provide strategic advice and counsel to clients that manage electronic home video (“EHV”), transactional video-on-demand (“TVOD”) and subscription video-on-demand (“SVOD”) agreements for The Walt Disney Company’s with global licensees (i.e., distribution platforms with presence in the US and internationally). As such, the successful candidate will liaise with Disney’s international counsel and regional lawyers and business teams to ensure consistency among our company’s various agreements, will handle all drafting, and will collaborate with such teams in the negotiation and closure for such transactions. As part of that work, this position will serve as the primary legal point-person for designated Disney’s licensees.
- Primarily, negotiate various entertainment-related agreements including, but not limited to, vendor agreements, rental agreements, purchase orders, videogram licensing agreements, sales and promotional discount agreements, and merchandising agreements with brick & mortar retailers, distributors, and other content licensees.
- Provide guidance on, and facilitate the implementation of, various business strategies in product distribution for sell-through/rental business models, physical/digital hybrid models, cross lines of business opportunities (e.g., consumer products, games), and other distribution-related initiatives.
- Assistance and enforcement of complex collection efforts for unpaid debts and claims disputes, including discovery, legal research and writing, memoranda preparation, and collection correspondence.
- Support various client groups in North America, including the sales team and related cross-functional areas such as, finance, marketing, operations, credit/collections, in-store supply chain.
- Provide legal advice on substantive areas of law, including, but not limited to, contract, anti-trust, bankruptcy, advertising, consumer protection, and intellectual property (including anti-piracy).
- With respect to both US and international distribution transactions: draft, negotiate, and close complex transactions with other digital licensees; provide advice and counsel to business and legal Disney/ABC personnel regarding the terms of such agreements.
- Minimum 8 years of legal experience.
- Significant transactional experience in the entertainment industry.
- Transactional experience in content distribution for home video, television and/or new media. Preferred experience in transactional work related to the same of home video discs.
- Significant exposure to and understanding of matters relating to intellectual property and antitrust.
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Admission to California State Bar Association or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.