Principal Counsel, Fox 21 StudiosApply Now Apply Later Job ID 708616BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Sep. 30, 2019
Responsibilities:LEGAL EXPERTISE & LEADERSHIP:
- Serve as a subject matter expert on all development and production legal matters for Fox 21 Legal Affairs.
- Provide direction and oversight of all deal-related issues related to the production of original material.
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements for the development and production of original live action programming for telecast on a variety of platforms: streaming services and cable networks.
- Analysis and advice in connection with intellectual property matters, claims, clearances, and other matters arising out of the day-to-day operations of a large television studio. Clients will include such other departments as Business Affairs, Creative, Development, Production, Production Finance, Casting and Casting Administration, Contract Administration, Marketing, and Brand Management.
- Substantial expertise in the following areas is essential: live action, scripted television production; distribution/acquisition agreements; copyright; trademark; clearances; defamation; rights of publicity and privacy, and other personal and property rights.
- Work closely with the Litigation Department and outside counsel on litigation matters relating to all aspects of the Fox 21 business, including distribution, production, labor and clearances.
- Work closely with the corporate Intellectual Property group in managing all intellectual property issues relating to Fox 21, including anti-piracy, clearance, privacy/defamation, patent, trademark and music issues.
- Coordinate with the corporate Tax Department on tax issues for Fox 21, working often in this regard with Business Affairs.
- Partner effectively and work closely with Labor Relations, Business Affairs and Production on high-level and strategic labor issues that confront Fox 21.
- Manage all legal matters relating to Fox 21 content and its distribution.
Basic Qualifications:Work Experience
- Qualified candidate will have a JD degree and a minimum of 7 years’ experience in Legal Affairs in the television or streaming industry.
- Demonstrated success in earning the trust of senior legal and business management to manage complex and sensitive issues.
- Experience with complex backend participation and co-production arrangements.
- Has breadth of knowledge about the television studio business and legal issues as well as best practices specific to the television business.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Superior negotiation, drafting, and writing skills; as well as ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
- Knowledge of AFTRA/SAG, DGA and WGA rules for live action content.
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer with a commitment to a positive working environment within the legal organization.
- Exceptional drafting, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently, executing multiple high priority projects with keen attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and independent, sound judgment.
- Strong mentoring capabilities.
- Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills, including a healthy sense of humor and the ability to build professional, interdepartmental relationships at multiple levels.
- Must excel in advising and collaborating with Fox 21 senior management on all relevant matters.
- Television studio or production company experience preferred.
- Experience in international production and co-financing arrangements.
- Experience as a lawyer within a law firm.
- Law degree from top tier law school.
- Bar Membership (California is preferred).
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Touchstone Television Productions, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
Touchstone Television Productions, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.